Garage Door: Distinguishing Indigo Open from Remote Open

Posted on
Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:22 pm
Peel offline

Garage Door: Distinguishing Indigo Open from Remote Open

I have an Insteon Low Voltage I/O controller attached to my garage door along with a magnetic open/closed sensor. I have a variable called garageDoorOpen that is true/false based on the input from the sensor, so I can always tell the status of the door. What I want to be able to do is tell when the garage door was opened via the remote in the car, as opposed to Insteon sending the open command.
My intent is that since I only use the car remote when returning home, this could be used as a trigger to set a "home" state in Indigo, but obviously don't want this triggered when I'm leaving the house and open the garage door via the keypad button at the front door.
Any thoughts on the best way to approach this?

Posted on
Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:39 pm
johnpolasek offline

Re: Garage Door: Distinguishing Indigo Open from Remote Open

I'd create a variable just for that and an action group that sets it to "Controller" and sends the open command, and call that action everywhere in Indigo that you want the program to open the door (control pages, triggers, other actions, etc) with a separate trigger that resets it to "Manual" whenever the door goes closed. Thus, the variable would stay "Manual" when you use the remote (or hit the button in the garage) to open the door, but change whenever Indigo trippers it.

Posted on
Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:51 pm
Peel offline

Re: Garage Door: Distinguishing Indigo Open from Remote Open

Great suggestion! I'll create a new variable garageDoorOperator set to either Manual or Controller. Then create a trigger watching the variable state change of garageDoorOpen becomes True, with a condition of garageDoorOperator = "Manual", to set the "home" state. This should work as long as when Indigo is controlling the door, that the action group sets garageDoorOperator to "Coltroller" before it executes the open command.

Page 1 of 1