Variable in Action Group

Posted on
Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:40 am
rgspb offline

Variable in Action Group

I have an Action Group called "Bedtime". I've attached a pic of what that runs. I would like to set the action of turning off "Christmas All Off" to only run if the Variable "IsChristmas" is set to yes. Otherwise for the rest of the year I keep getting device not found errors because all the Christmas stuff is not plugged in. Can I not set that action to only run depending on a Variable? If not what is the best way to do this?
Thanks
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-11-29 at 10.33.03 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-11-29 at 10.33.03 AM.png (55.71 KiB) Viewed 2162 times

Posted on
Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:00 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Variable in Action Group

I don't know how you're calling the action group, but I'd just create a separate schedule that uses a variable condition with your holiday variable that executes the action group. I find that it's easier to diagnose seasonal issues (christmas lights, halloween lights, etc) if I keep them completely separate from any other standard house operations.

The other option is to use a script that checks the variable first then executes the action group if the variable value is appropriate.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:42 am
rgspb offline

I'm just using the mobile app to run the Bedtime action group. It's a manual thing so there's no schedule set to run that action group.

Posted on
Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:44 am
Swancoat offline

I have some Christmas things like that too, and I just unclick the 'Enable Communication' box next to it in the device list for most of the year. Then Indigo doesn't even try, and no errors.

http://nerdhome.jimdo.com

Posted on
Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:00 pm
rgspb offline

Ok I didn't even think of that! The simplest solution, thanks so much.

Page 1 of 1