Insteon Command Speed

Posted on
Wed May 18, 2016 10:23 am
nanobots offline

Insteon Command Speed

Hey guys,

I'm working with a specific action group based scene and it seems like it's taking a lot longer than I'd like it to. I'm wondering if this is normal behavior or if there might be something I can do to speed it up.

Basically I have an insteon remote near the bed in the master bedroom. When the off button for one of the scenes is pressed, it set the house mode to asleep, turns off all the lights except for those in the master bedroom and bathroom which is turns on. Then, once house mode is set to asleep if I press the off button again it turns all the lights off. The "on" mode for this button is a little different, turning on a couple specific lights and the coffee machine, and setting the house mode to awake.

Because of the behavior I'm using the action group's turn light on command instead of setting up insteon device links which I assume may be faster. I have about 20 or so total devices that need to be turned off. I'm finding the all off scene is taking about 10 seconds to complete.

Does this seem like a normal amount of time to turn about ~20 insteon devices? They are a combination of 6/8 button kpls, switchlincs, a couple of insteon outlets, and microdimmers. I've run the survey plugin and it seems like response times are generally around to 200-300 ms range for almost all devices.

Any thoughts on making the scene feel more responsive?

Thanks

Posted on
Wed May 18, 2016 10:47 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Re: Insteon Command Speed

I do something very similar in my house and the speed is about the same as mine. You have to remember that Indigo is executing the action and waiting for a response or time out from the device before moving on to the next one so 20 devices taking 10 seconds (or about 1/2 second each) isn't bad. If you have devices on the edge of Indigo's ability to communicate (i.e., it takes 2-3 attempts to get the device to wake up or respond) this will be a big bottleneck for you.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Wed May 18, 2016 1:23 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I can't really tell from your description if you're already doing this, but you can try to speed things up by creating a PowerLinc group with all the lights/devices you want to go off with your first button press in it. Then do an OFF to that PowerLinc group. It may or may not be faster based on the performance of your Insteon network. Insteon isn't a very fast technology, particularly if it ends up retrying commands multiple times, but doing a group generally should be faster than sending individual commands.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed May 18, 2016 1:54 pm
eme jota ce offline

jay (support) wrote:
I can't really tell from your description if you're already doing this, but you can try to speed things up by creating a PowerLinc group with all the lights/devices you want to go off with your first button press in it. Then do an OFF to that PowerLinc group. It may or may not be faster based on the performance of your Insteon network. Insteon isn't a very fast technology, particularly if it ends up retrying commands multiple times, but doing a group generally should be faster than sending individual commands.

I followed a very similar suggestion to Jay's (above) a few years ago when experiencing slower than desired exception of large (many devices) action group. For me, the speed increase was significant when using PowerLinc Groups instead of action groups.

Page 1 of 1