New heating system

Posted on
Fri May 01, 2015 7:43 am
Turribeach offline

New heating system

Hi,

I am in the process of replacing an old boiler with a new boiler + a hot water tank. My house has central heating via this same boiler which now have 2 heating zones. I have Indigo Pro with 15 Z-wave devices. As part of this upgrade I will be fitting some radiators with the Danfoss Living Connect LC-13 Z-Wave thermostat radiator valve. The question now is what sort of heating and hot water controls I should get. My plumber is going to install a traditional 7-day programmable thermostat. I was wondering whether it will be best to ask him to scrap that and buy a Z-Wave 7-day programmable thermostat. The two that are supported by Indigo are the 2GIG CT100 and Honeywell TH8320ZW1000 which don't seem to be available in the UK. But perhaps I should just have the standard controls (as I like the fall back that that gives me) and instead install the Secure/Horstmann SSR302 Z-Wave Two Channel Boiler Actuator which will allow me to control the two heating zones or 1 zone and the hot water using variables, triggers, etc. Has anyone done anything similar and has any advice? I had a look at the Basic Thermostat Control page and the Advanced Thermostat Adjustment page and they seem to cover some of the stuff I want to do but it seems I will need a custom solution since there isn't anything out there that covers everything I need.

Thanks!

Posted on
Fri May 01, 2015 8:19 am
howartp offline

Re: New heating system

I added Zwave control of our heating by using a regular Fibaro relay in parallel with the original timer. The thermostat on the timer is permanently set to 5 degrees so never comes on, but if Indigo is down for some reason I can turn the thermostat up and heat will come on.

I then used schedules and variables in conjunction with the Fibaro motion sensors I've got (which report temperature) to turn the heating on/off, plus control pages to override on/off.

I made sure I put an overrun variable in so the heating can't change state within 5 minutes of its last change.

Prter

Posted on
Fri May 01, 2015 5:03 pm
Turribeach offline

Thanks for the info Prter.

Posted on
Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:19 am
MarcoGT offline

howartp wrote:
I added Zwave control of our heating by using a regular Fibaro relay in parallel with the original timer. The thermostat on the timer is permanently set to 5 degrees so never comes on, but if Indigo is down for some reason I can turn the thermostat up and heat will come on.

I then used schedules and variables in conjunction with the Fibaro motion sensors I've got (which report temperature) to turn the heating on/off, plus control pages to override on/off.

I made sure I put an overrun variable in so the heating can't change state within 5 minutes of its last change.

Prter

That sounds interesting...instead of adding Horstmann/Secure thermostat+receiver, I can try at first with a simple Fibaro relay...

Page 1 of 1