[SOLVED]Light randomisation

Posted on
Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:48 pm
rjs104 offline

[SOLVED]Light randomisation

Hi All,

I apologise upfront as I'm sure this is a topic that has been covered before…

I'm getting to that critical mass where I have enough of my lights under Indigo control that I can do some "randomisation" when we are away to fool those pesky burglars.

But how to go about it?

Without writing loads of schedules/triggers/actions what-have-you, is there a good efficient way to get the desired effect?

Many thanks for any advice anyone can offer,

Richard.

Posted on
Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:59 pm
ckeyes888 offline

Re: Light randomisation

If you're using schedules to turn them on/off you can randomize them
there. There's box you can enter the minutes you want it to randomize.

Carl

Posted on
Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:07 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

So, what I do is have some schedules that randomize some lights around the times that we would normally turn on/off lights (evening and bedtime for us). Then we enable those by adding a condition to them such that if a variable (I use houseMode) is equal to "away" or "vacation" then those schedules execute. If you think about your usage patterns, I suspect you don't need "loads" but rather just a couple of schedules to approximate that lived in look. And even if it takes more than just a couple, once you get it set up then you won't need to mess much with it over time, it'll just work.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:42 pm
berkinet offline

I have created schedules like what Jay describes. I also made sure that the randomness of the on and off times would allow for potential overlap. For example, Our guest room has 3 on periods each evening with the possibility of overlap. So, most nights there are three periods, but some nights I get only two.

However, rather than using "modes" I have a trigger that disables the automatic schedule for 24 hours anytime the room light is turned on manually and another trigger to enable it if the light is douple-tapped on.

Posted on
Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:45 pm
jalves offline

jay (support) wrote:
So, what I do is have some schedules that randomize some lights around the times that we would normally turn on/off lights (evening and bedtime for us). Then we enable those by adding a condition to them such that if a variable (I use houseMode) is equal to "away" or "vacation" then those schedules execute. If you think about your usage patterns, I suspect you don't need "loads" but rather just a couple of schedules to approximate that lived in look. And even if it takes more than just a couple, once you get it set up then you won't need to mess much with it over time, it'll just work.

This is what I do as well. In addition, when I have a vacation planned I add a one-time schedule that sets the variable "Vacation" to true on the day I am planning on leaving. I add another one-time schedule that sets it to false on the day I'm returning. That way I don't have to remember to set/re-set the variable when leaving/returning.

Running Indigo 2023.2 on a 24" iMac M1), OS X 14.4
Jeff

Posted on
Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:48 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

LOL - I do that too. Mainly to get the house temps back to their normal level by the time we get home… :lol:

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:14 pm
hamw offline

jay (support) wrote:
LOL - I do that too. Mainly to get the house temps back to their normal level by the time we get home… :lol:

I do this as well. I have a set up as a programmable trigger using the "set clock" technique that you had posted before, but since it only sets the time, I have to remember to change the variable on my iPhone the day before I arrive home.

Do you know of a way to set the date of a trigger as well? I would love to be able to set the trigger *date* from my phone by changing a variable as well as the "arrive home" time?

Posted on
Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:54 am
rjs104 offline

Thanks for all the suggestions - I shall give them a try and put them into practice :)

Cheers!

R

Posted on
Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:09 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

hamw wrote:
Do you know of a way to set the date of a trigger as well? I would love to be able to set the trigger *date* from my phone by changing a variable as well as the "arrive home" time?

Unfortunately the schedule object isn't finished in the Python IOM so you'll need to use AppleScript. If the trigger is defined as an absolute date and absolute time (the first radio button in both the Date and Time sections of the dialog) then setting the date/time should set both:

Code: Select all
set mySchedule to time date action named "Some Schedule"
set absolute trigger time of mySchedule to date("12/20/2013 9:00 PM")

Jay (Indigo Support)

Page 1 of 1