force insteon to send status on power on?

Posted on
Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:35 pm
anitchalk offline

force insteon to send status on power on?

I have a use case where I'd like to do something triggered by something being plugged in. I have a z-wave ZEN15 zooz device and a insteon smart lamp dimmer. I tried to look at the debug output to see if I could match on something when I plugged both of them in but I didn't see that they sent any sort of status. the ZEN15 I checked doesn't have any parameter that I can set that would force it to send status or something when plugging in. The insteon doesn't seem to send anything either. I could of course poll the target device but I'd prefer not to if I can avoid it (wouldn't be the end of the world, but triggering on an event would be more economical obviously. I think the answer to this is no, but I know very little about the z-wave spec or the insteon wire protocol so just wondering if there's something I'm missing. Maybe I can't try to target a device in the listen to raw command trigger? or? something else?

Thanks

Posted on
Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:41 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: force insteon to send status on power on?

anitchalk wrote:
I think the answer to this is no

Yeah, I don't think this is possible, but I may not be thinking out of the box enough...

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:24 pm
FlyingDiver offline

I'm wondering if a power monitoring plug would report the change faster. Something like the Aeotec Smart Switch 6.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:50 am
Grognard offline

I've had good luck with using these z-wave plugs to sense when our TV powers on/off/sleeps. Precision (in my application of a Sony TV) seems to be +/- 2 watts, which allowed me to trigger when the TV switches from ON to STANDBY without falsing using a "device change - current power - > 30 watts" trigger.

Posted on
Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:24 am
anitchalk offline

perhaps I should have started off with my use case. My earlier idea of polling won't do the trick either unfortunately.

I have a hardwired NOT-smart light sensor (just regular ol' in-wall old school motion detection). When it senses motion, it turns on a in-wall outlet. That then powers the LED light plugged into that outlet. The problem is that for part of the day we don't want this light to turn on at all which is where the insteon outlet fits in. I was hoping that I could do this (hence my orig post):

- motion sensor senses
    - turns on outlet which has an insteon (or z-wave plug) plugged in
    - when insteon powers on from the outlet turning on, send status to indigo (or anything I can listen for)
    - insteon then follows its last on/off state to power the led
    - indigo can check the time and turn on/off the insteon so the next time there is motion, it will be in the right state.
The idea here is that IF I can sense anything from the insteon powering on, I can then quickly set the on/off state of the insteon so for the next few hrs (before we switch to the opposite state, which I will set again when the motion is tripped again).
Polling would only work if I polled every 20s for this device and whether it is online or not since that is about the length of time that the motion sensor keeps the circuit alive for.

Page 1 of 1