How deep cancelling delayed actions gets?

Posted on
Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:13 am
vitaprimo offline

How deep cancelling delayed actions gets?

If a trigger started a chain reaction then in one of the child items started by the trigger instructs it to stopped whatever it started, how deep will it get? Do certain types of delayed actions (device/trigger/schedule) break the-/start a new chain?

I'm bad explaining things so I made a little doodle for visual aid: (you might need to ⌘- to make it fit)

PS. I know about that actionGroups cannot cancel delayed actions for actionGroups (i.e; for themselves), but I based it on a similar working design that has another thing there that works the exactly alike, in the end though it's still valid to illustrate my point/question. (I hope)

System
Indigo 7.0.4, macOS 10.13.6

I'll bet you think this post is about you. Don't you. ♪

Posted on
Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:25 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: How deep cancelling delayed actions gets?

Can you create a more simplified example? That one is pretty hard to follow just from a picture and no real description.

In general, when you cancel delayed actions for Trigger A, it's only the actions directly in that trigger that have delays on them that will get canceled. So if one of the actions is to change a variable (no delay) but another trigger is fired because the variable changes and it has delays, that won't be canceled because the delay is created by a separate trigger.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:38 pm
vitaprimo offline

Re: How deep cancelling delayed actions gets?

Huh... I thought I had sent the post but it was still minimized in another desk.

Can you create a more simplified example? That one is pretty hard to follow just from a picture and no real description.

Done.

In general, when you cancel delayed actions for Trigger A, it's only the actions directly in that trigger that have delays on them that will get canceled. So if one of the actions is to change a variable (no delay) but another trigger is fired because the variable changes and it has delays, that won't be canceled because the delay is created by a separate trigger.

it's only the actions directly in that trigger that have delays on them that will get canceled <-- That's the answer I was looking for!

I was using actions to make stuff reusable. The problem is that they are timed and actions don't get their delayed items grouped for easy cancellation as do schedules, triggers and devices. And now I know that an indirect trigger of another trigger doesn't get cancelled (its actions) when the actions from the original trigger are cancelled.

Despite not knowing that, I had already worked around this before setting up timing on infrared controls (for redundancy), so I took my own example (saved on a file as text) and made what would be Action Groups into Triggers so they can get cancelled as a group with the extra perk of being conditionable ...conditionedable? that makes no sense, conditioned? IDK I'm invoking my "yo no hablo inglés" card. :D

Thanks for answering and sorry for the huge delay.

I'll bet you think this post is about you. Don't you. ♪

Page 1 of 1