Detecting humidity ramp rate for trigger

Posted on
Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:25 am
ryanbuckner offline

Detecting humidity ramp rate for trigger

I'm looking for a simple or creative way to determine a sharp ramp increase or decrease of humidity from my Oregon Scientific Humidity sensor.

Here's my use case:

1) I have a "Shower Mode" variable that is used to override the motion sensor trigger to turn off the lights in the bathroom when there's no motion. Obviously there's no motion detected because the sensor is not in the shower, so I want the lights to stay on
2) "Shower Mode" is currently triggered to turn ON when humidity in the bathroom exceeds 40.
3) "Shower Mode" turns OFF when humidity dips below 40.

When the shower is on and the door is closed, the humidity is around 77 for me. My kid uses water that isn't as hot, and showers with the door slightly open. If I open the door, the humidity drops to 53 within 5 minutes.

I'd like to use ramp rate detection rather than constant numbers to automate "Shower Mode" since the standard humidity varies at least from season to season. Plus, the humidity when showering differs from person to person.

Is there a creative way to determine a sharp change in humidity? I'm ok with some scripting if needed.

Posted on
Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:52 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Re: Detecting humidity ramp rate for trigger

What exact delta in humidity change, in what time period, do you want to use to change the state. In both directions?

I think yould do it either with one trigger and a script, or two triggers and no script.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:25 pm
ryanbuckner offline

Let’s say 10 increase or drop over a 5 min span

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:17 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Set a schedule to run every 5 minutes. Compare the current humidity to a saved variable. Test the delta and enable/disable fan as needed. Update the variable. I think you can do all that with conditions on the schedule as needed. Might need two triggers with opposite condition tests.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:55 pm
ryanbuckner offline

FlyingDiver wrote:
Set a schedule to run every 5 minutes. Compare the current humidity to a saved variable. Test the delta and enable/disable fan as needed. Update the variable. I think you can do all that with conditions on the schedule as needed. Might need two triggers with opposite condition tests.

I'll give this approach a try and let you know how it turns out

Posted on
Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:31 pm
ryanbuckner offline

I think I'm going to have to try a different route. Humidity ram isn't proving to be a reliable measurement for what I'm trying to do. The levels don't increase for about 10 minutes and I very rarely let the water run that long before using the shower.

Posted on
Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:34 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Hmm. Add a motion sensor? Or maybe some sort of sound sensor will detect the shower?

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:35 pm
ryanbuckner offline

FlyingDiver wrote:
Hmm. Add a motion sensor? Or maybe some sort of sound sensor will detect the shower?

I have a motion sensor, but it's not waterproof ...

What is this sound sensor you speak of? ! Can it be trusted to sense sound only in a small bathroom and not directly outside of it ?

Posted on
Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:34 pm
FlyingDiver offline

How big is the shower? The motion sensor doesn't have to be waterproof if you can mount it where it won't actually get wet. Like in the corner of the wall with the shower head, slightly above the head.

I don't have a sound sensor in mind, sorry.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:31 am
Korey offline

I have a simple conditional trigger controlling the bathroom exhaust fan, works quite well.

Humidity does not change that much in a desert climate.

The condition is If the Bathroom light is ON.

With another trigger to Turn the fan off once the humidity reaches the nominal level.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 8.17.15 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 8.17.15 AM.png (123.27 KiB) Viewed 2260 times
Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 8.26.55 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 8.26.55 AM.png (140.31 KiB) Viewed 2260 times

--
Korey

Posted on
Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:39 pm
jalves offline

I do something similar to Korey. However, I don't check for the light being on because I want the fan to continue to run until the humidity is back to "normal" even if I leave the bathroom. So, my trigger is based on when the bathroom sensor (an aeotec multi-sensor) registers 15 points higher than a similar sensor located in my bedroom. When that triggers it turns on the fan for 10 minutes. This continues to work because the trigger continues to fire every time the humidity level changes so in reality the fan continues to run throughout the whole shower and well afterwards.

Running Indigo 2023.2 on a 24" iMac M1), OS X 14.4
Jeff

Posted on
Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:09 pm
Korey offline

jalves wrote:
I do something similar to Korey. However, I don't check for the light being on because I want the fan to continue to run until the humidity is back to "normal" even if I leave the bathroom.

My fan off Trigger is independent of the Light, so it continues to run after the light is off until humidity gets back to nominal values. No conditions! :D

--
Korey

Posted on
Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:54 pm
ryanbuckner offline

The end result I'm trying to achieve is to keep the lights on when someone is in the bathroom, and turn it off when they aren't. I might just need 2 motion sensors - maybe I'm getting too creative.

Page 1 of 1