trigger based on outside temp

Posted on
Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:25 pm
jroach offline

trigger based on outside temp

I am trying to build a trigger that will turn on a fan based on a few variables. ie: if the temp outside is > 74 then turn on a device. I'm using NOAA weather plugin but only allows a specific temp (vs exceeds). Am I going about this wrong or using the wrong plugin?

Posted on
Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:32 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Re: trigger based on outside temp

jroach wrote:
I am trying to build a trigger that will turn on a fan based on a few variables. ie: if the temp outside is > 74 then turn on a device. I'm using NOAA weather plugin but only allows a specific temp (vs exceeds). Am I going about this wrong or using the wrong plugin?

Use an "any change" trigger, then use a condition on that trigger to test if the temp exceeds your threshold.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:56 pm
jroach offline

FlyingDiver,

Thanks. I didn't see "any change" in my noaa drop down.

I'm trying to automate a duct fan that draws air from the basement to the attic under certain conditions

More detail:

Trigger: Device State Change (When upstairs sensor temp/becomes greater than/74
Condition: Current Time/Greater than/9am, Current Time/less than/10pm/Attic Temp/Greater than/85

and the last part I need is; outside temp is less than 72 (using noaa plugin for the temp

Thanks in advance for your help

Posted on
Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:18 pm
FlyingDiver offline

jroach wrote:
FlyingDiver,

Thanks. I didn't see "any change" in my noaa drop down.

I'm trying to automate a duct fan that draws air from the basement to the attic under certain conditions

More detail:

Trigger: Device State Change (When upstairs sensor temp/becomes greater than/74
Condition: Current Time/Greater than/9am, Current Time/less than/10pm/Attic Temp/Greater than/85

and the last part I need is; outside temp is less than 72 (using noaa plugin for the temp

Thanks in advance for your help

You mean like this?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-10-03 at 5.15.34 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-10-03 at 5.15.34 PM.jpg (172.79 KiB) Viewed 3221 times

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:33 pm
jroach offline

Flying Diver,

That's it.... (and I'm an idiot). I was using current condition vs current temp.

Thanks.

Posted on
Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:02 pm
jroach offline

FD or ?

Anybody know how to get the temp from NOAA every minute?

Posted on
Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:05 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Why would you want to do that? The NOAA data isn't updated that often.

https://w1.weather.gov/xml/current_obs/

NWS offers hourly weather observations formatted with xml tags to aid in the parsing of the information by automated programs used to populate databases, display information on webpages or other similar applications. This format is not to be confused with RSS and cannot be read by RSS readers and aggregators. These files present more detailed information than the RSS feeds in strings friendly for parsing. Both the RSS and XML feeds offer URLs to icon images. Additionally, A list of what phrases may appear in the XML tag and suggested icons is available. To access these feeds, select a state and then the last XML link in the column.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:01 pm
jroach offline

Joe,

Understood. The more I thought about it the more I realized that I need to have an outside temp sensor as I can't expect an outside source pushing data that often.

I am trying to determine a trigger point in order to turn on a fan that moves air from the basement to the attic. Attic temps can be over 125F+. Basement temp will be in the 78F range at that same time. Pushing the air from the basement prevents a super-heating event where the heat absorbs into the wood rafters, plaster/ceiling and insulation and retain the heat working against the AC later in the early evening. If I push air from the basement to the attic too soon/long then I exhaust my cool air supply in the basement. There is a window where it makes sense to run the duct fan and I'm trying to build a formula that will automate it but need more environmental data.

ANy thoughts appreciated.

Joe

Posted on
Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:05 pm
FlyingDiver offline

There's lots of Z-wave temperature sensors. In my case, my pool controller has an air temp sensor. And I recently added a Davis WeatherLink Live weather station to the property. The nice thing is that local sensors don't require an Internet connection.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:12 pm
jroach offline

Joe,

I've purchased a few Aeotec MultiSensors but the temp reading is off all of them compared to my baseline FLIR device. Do you like the Weatherlink? Does it look at air quality?
(recently AQ has become a factor on wether or not to turn on certain fans)

I do see that Indigo has a plugin for it.

Joe

Posted on
Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:12 pm
FlyingDiver offline

There's an available air quality sensor for the Davis, but it's not part of the base units.

For Indigo integration, I really like the Weatherlink since it's a black box that you can hide away. The sensor suite is easy to install as well.

For AQI, Purple Air seems to be the go-to device.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Page 1 of 1