Power Failure trigger

Posted on
Tue May 26, 2020 5:36 pm
Dual offline

Power Failure trigger

From the documentation:

“Use the Type Power Failure to trigger an action whenever the computer interface detects a power failure. For Indigo to receive this information from the computer interface, the computer running Indigo must be connected to an uninterruptible power supply (UPS). Otherwise, the command from the interface will be sent to a computer with no power.”

I have my Mac mini running Indigo plugged into a Cyberpower UPS. The UPS is connected to the mini via USB cable. The Mac mini is running the PowerPanel Personal software.

Is Indigo somehow aware when there is a power failure and the UPS is on battery?

In the documentation what is meant by “computer interface?”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Wed May 27, 2020 1:04 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Power Failure trigger

I can see how the documentation is a bit unclear here. It is only mentioning a UPS because without it your Mac will be lose power before the Trigger can fire (unless it is on a UPS or is a battery powered laptop).

Computer interface is referring to some PowerLinc models that have the capability to send to Indigo when they detect the power has been interrupted. If you have a PowerLinc (or maybe the CM15) then try unplugging it from the wall and watch the Event Log for a power failure message. If you see one, then you can use this Trigger to detect it and perform an action when it occurs.

Posted on
Wed May 27, 2020 7:34 pm
Dual offline

Thanks Matt. All Z Wave for me. I will work with the email ability of the CyberPower software to alert me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Thu May 20, 2021 1:30 am
RedYuriPrime offline

I also have a CyberPower UPS. Great kit, but very disappointing that instead of a dry contact output on power failure, as used to be commonly the case, you have to subscribe to a software package.
However a hardware solution is simple in a Z-wave system.
Take a z-wave switch (I use a spare Fibaro single switch 2 FGS-213), power the device from the output of the UPS, and wire the power input to the UPS to the switch input. When the power goes down, the device reports under indigo that the switch has changed state and this can trigger whatever you want. Replacing the device with a more modern Fibaro 'smart' switch would also provide dry contact output as well.

Z-wave system with 80+ devices, Indigo7 on a dedicated MacMini
Controlling lighting, heating, hotwater, security; but still a lot to learn ... :shock:

Page 1 of 1