Mass Email-To-Text Notifications Off of One Trigger Command?

Posted on
Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:33 pm
zeigh offline

Mass Email-To-Text Notifications Off of One Trigger Command?

Hello,

Has anyone setup a mass text notification list in an Indigo trigger configuration? Can Indigo handle sending up to 50 or so messages based upon one command efficiently?

I have installed an open/close sensor in my mailbox so that I am alerted when the postal person makes a delivery. I use the base Verizon email-to-text address of 602XXXXXXX@vtext.com (other carriers listed below). Since this mailbox is in one of those multi-unit cluster boxes often found in a neighborhood, I am considering sharing the notification to my neighbors who want it. In theory this should work, but interested if I am not the first person to try any of this and any pitfalls that there may be. If needed for better reliability, does anyone know of a mass text service that Indigo could interface with?

In the meantime, here is a list of all the cellular carriers email-to-text formulas (that come in surprisingly hardly sometimes):

• Alltel: phonenumber@message.alltel.com.
• AT&T: phonenumber@txt.att.net.
• T-Mobile: phonenumber@tmomail.net.
• Virgin Mobile: phonenumber@vmobl.com.
• Sprint: phonenumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com.
• Verizon: phonenumber@vtext.com.
• Nextel: phonenumber@messaging.nextel.com.
• US Cellular: phonenumber@mms.uscc.net.

“Technological change is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.” (Albert Einstein, 1941),
Dr. Z.

Posted on
Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:02 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Mass Email-To-Text Notifications Off of One Trigger Comm

Indigo isn't the one doing the heavy lifting here, but rather the SMTP server that's actually sending the email (we just send the information, including the address list, to the SMTP server just once). That is, assuming you put all the addresses (comma separated) into a single Send Email action (vs 50 separate actions).

That said, I'd recommend using the Better Email plugin over our built-in mail as it's built using more reliable technology (our 3rd party mail library is quite old and finicky). Yet another thing on the todo list... ;)

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:53 am
FlyingDiver offline

Re: Mass Email-To-Text Notifications Off of One Trigger Comm

zeigh wrote:
If needed for better reliability, does anyone know of a mass text service that Indigo could interface with?

There's the Twilio plugin, which is a commercial-grade SMS service. It's not free, but it's very robust.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Page 1 of 1