Basic Motion Sensor Controlling Light Trigger

Posted on
Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:49 pm
zeigh offline

Basic Motion Sensor Controlling Light Trigger

Hello,

This is embarrassing, but I am throwing up the white flag. I simply want to create a trigger(s) for a motion sensor to turn on/off lights. Somehow what configuration I had for years is no longer working OR I have tinkered with it so long that I am blind to mistakes. It all started with replacing an older model Insteon motion sensor with the newest version (using Indigo 7.3).

Currently I have the motion sensor and light switch linked. Motion detected turns on the lights. However, no matter what setting I try, the lights go off within one minute. Attached are my latest settings for a trigger commanding on and a trigger commanding off. I also have the trigger AND motion sensor set to "delay off for 10 minutes".

UGH, what am i missing? If anyone has a direct link to a Wiki How-To page for this, please pass it along, as I wasn't able to find this basic configuration.
Attachments
Off- Action.jpeg
Off- Action.jpeg (78.58 KiB) Viewed 1977 times
Off- Trigger.jpeg
Off- Trigger.jpeg (45.53 KiB) Viewed 1977 times
On- Action.jpeg
On- Action.jpeg (50.86 KiB) Viewed 1977 times
On- Trigger.jpeg
On- Trigger.jpeg (40.69 KiB) Viewed 1977 times

“Technological change is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.” (Albert Einstein, 1941),
Dr. Z.

Posted on
Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:41 pm
Dual offline

Re: Basic Motion Sensor Controlling Light Trigger

In your Kitchen: Lights On trigger your action is set to turn them off!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:16 pm
zeigh offline

"In your Kitchen: Lights On trigger your action is set to turn them off!"

Thanks for catching that. Unfortunately the problem is still occurring after that correction and even when both of the trigger scrips are disabled. The issue is only happening when the motion sensor and light switch are linked. The motion sensor has the setting to delay off after 10 minutes.

“Technological change is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.” (Albert Einstein, 1941),
Dr. Z.

Posted on
Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:18 pm
Dual offline

What do you mean by “linked?”

Posted on
Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:22 pm
zeigh offline

"What do you mean by “linked?”"

The motion sensor is set as controller with the light switch under the Manage Insteon Device Links window.

Dr. Z.

Posted on
Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:30 pm
Dual offline

Insteon. Sorry. I’m a Z-Wave guy. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

Posted on
Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:10 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Have you used the Interfaces->INSTEON/X10 Power Line->Set Motion Sensor Timeout... menu item to increase the timeout time for the new motion sensor? The default shipped with the motion sensor is pretty short. If you use direct links this that is the only way to increase the on duration of the directly controlled light since Indigo isn't involved in the process.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:44 pm
zeigh offline

Jay,

Thanks for the reply and cluing me in on a setting that I apparently missed. Hey, I have only been an Indigo user since version 1x, so there are probably other changing details that I am unaware of also. Anyhow, the matter is finally resolved.

BTW, the newest Insteon motion sensors are pretty fickle in my view. They aren't as straight forward to configure as the previous design and just don't instill a whole lot of reliability to me, as there seemed to be some inconsistency in operation. What functioned well immediately after registering with Indigo, seemed erratic once further configuring was done, especially entities showing up in the Event Log. I purchased two units and both are like that.

Dr. Z.

Posted on
Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:35 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

zeigh wrote:
BTW, the newest Insteon motion sensors are pretty fickle in my view.

I agree. If you want reliable motion sensors, we highly recommend using Z-Wave motion sensors instead. Aside from being more reliable, they are often much more capable in terms of settings and functionality (many are multi sensors that also do light, humidity, temp, etc). They also mostly report battery level though the values reported are often not super consistent.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1