Plugins randomly stop working

Posted on
Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:28 am
mikejandreau offline

Plugins randomly stop working

Every so often something happens that should trigger a Trigger, but doesn't.

I use a number of plugins for things such as: send me a Pushover notification if someone pulls into the driveway, turn the lights on at night if SecuritySpy detects motion, if I turn the air conditioner on in the living room, turn the volume on the Denon receiver up (if it's on).

But sometimes they just don't work, so I go to my computer running Indigo and "Reload" the plugin, which fixes the problem for a while.

Has anyone else experienced this and have any suggestions on how to avoid having to do this periodic restart of various plugins?

It happens with a good chunk of them, including: Cynical SecuritySpy, Cynical Denon, Pushover, and AlexaHue bridge.

Any pointers or advice are welcomed.

Posted on
Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:05 am
Coolcaper offline

Re: Plugins randomly stop working

mikejandreau wrote:
Has anyone else experienced this and have any suggestions on how to avoid having to do this periodic restart of various plugins?

It happens with a good chunk of them, including: Cynical SecuritySpy, Cynical Denon, Pushover, and AlexaHue

I've been experiencing this with Cynical Denon for a while now.

No advice from me other than to restart plugin as that's what I'm doing now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:23 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

There are a few 3rd party plugins that need to periodically be restarted - something in them gets in a bad state. I've not heard it being a widespread issue however. I personally use Pushover and Alexa and never have this problem. All of the plugins you mention use the network in some way so I'm wondering if your Mac is having periodic networking issues which is causing plugins that use the network to get hosed.

You might want to disable them one at a time and see if the problem stops. If so, then it might be that one of those plugins is triggering some kind of more widespread network issue.

You might want to look in your Indigo log and your Mac's console log when you discover one that's not working to see if there's anything in there that could point to a problem - you may have to backtrace in both logs to try to find when things first went wrong.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:26 am
mikejandreau offline

Jay, I've looked through the log, but it doesn't show any errors. It's just as if the Triggers don't exist at all.

For AlexaHue, it's usually "I can't find that device", as if it's not published anymore. A simple "Discover devices" fixes that one.

It's not the end of the world resetting plugins. Was just hoping there was a way to prevent it.

Maybe I'll just write a simple cron'd script to restart them all once a week and hope that fixes it.

Posted on
Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:05 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Restarting the plugins might fix the symptom, but the underlying problem will probably still be there...

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1