Keeping a keypadlinc dimmer and a switchlinc dimmer in sync

Posted on
Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:03 am
webdeck offline

Keeping a keypadlinc dimmer and a switchlinc dimmer in sync

I have a keypadlinc dimmer and a switchlink dimmer. Button 1 on the keypad is Insteon linked to the switch and vice-versa.

However, I wanted to add a trigger that would update the keypad's button if I turned on the switch remotely. So, I followed the instructions in the wiki and created a device state change trigger on the switch for brightness level has any change. The action is the embedded applescript:

Code: Select all
set the brightness of device "Master Bedroom Keypad" to brightness of device "Master Bedroom Left Reading Light"

That works as expected if I adjust the switch via Indigo, then the keypad light mirrors it.

However, if I push the keypad button to turn on the light, the light turns on, and then the keypad button turns off right away. I see this in the log:

2015-11-19 19:57:39.223   Received INSTEON   "Master Bedroom Keypad" on (button 1)
2015-11-19 19:57:39.225   Trigger   Master Bedroom Left Reading Light Sync
2015-11-19 19:57:40.597   Sent INSTEON   "Master Bedroom Keypad" on to 0

Any idea why it gets the brightness as 0 when I push the button on the keypad? The light is on.

Interestingly, Indigo shows that the light is off. Does Indigo not know it got turned on because of the Insteon link?

I updated the script to do a status update first, and it works now, but this shouldn't be necessary, right?
status request "Master Bedroom Left Reading Light"
set the brightness of device "Master Bedroom Keypad" to brightness of device "Master Bedroom Left Reading Light"

I have a bunch of these triggers setup to sync switches to each other and switches to keypads (my house has a lot of 3-ways), and this is the only problematic one I've found.

Thanks,
-Mike

Posted on
Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:33 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Keeping a keypadlinc dimmer and a switchlinc dimmer in s

Sounds like a timing issue. Add a short delay to the script action (like a second or two). Also, you can use the Match Brightness action rather than a script (it might be a bit more efficient and maybe a bit less susceptible to the timing issue).

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:54 pm
webdeck offline

Re: Keeping a keypadlinc dimmer and a switchlinc dimmer in s

jay (support) wrote:
Sounds like a timing issue. Add a short delay to the script action (like a second or two). Also, you can use the Match Brightness action rather than a script (it might be a bit more efficient and maybe a bit less susceptible to the timing issue).

I did try delaying the action and it still happened. I'll try the match brightness - you may want to update the wiki: http://wiki.indigodomo.com/doku.php?id=scenes_multiway_groups_overview

Thanks,
-Mike

Page 1 of 1