[ANSWERED]trigger light on with door with

Posted on
Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:34 pm
daystar123 offline

[ANSWERED]trigger light on with door with

I'm trying to get my bathroom light to come on when door opens i can see the door switch going off/on by the event log. i have tried everything i know without luck tried even asking for tech support and was told the software is DIY keep trying. what i want is three lights to come on and after 2.5min turn off the brightness is set at 20% willing to pay for help if someone can help. Thanks for taking the time to read this post

Posted on
Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:28 am
howartp offline

Re: trigger light on with door with

Hi there.

Are you talking about Indigo or some other software - there's no way Matt and Jay would tell you to just go away like that; they may well send you to these forums but they'll be just as quick to answer them here as anyone else.

Have you already got the lights controllable by Indigo? Have you already got the door switch in Indigo?

If so, create a Trigger that says:

When 'Bathroom Door' becomes 'On':

'Turn on' 'Bathroom lights'
'Turn off' 'Bathroom lights' after 2.5 minutes.

(There's a box that says 'Delay action by....' or words to that effect)

Give that a try, or give us more info and we will get you sorted.

Peter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:20 am
daystar123 offline

the magnetic switch is shown in devices and i can see the switch change when door opens. all three lights i want to control are also in devices and i can control them also
the trigger i used is the switch

type: variable changed
doorsensor 1
no condition to start with just to keep it simple
Action set brightens
device master bath light
amount 20%

this post is not to rag on the software company or its employees I just need help being an 81 year young some time logical things just do not register in my mind so if i have offended anyone i apologize

Posted on
Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:32 am
howartp offline

Hi.

Don't worry about it; I'm sure Matt/Jay won't be offended. It's good to see the older generation embracing home automation.

You say you can see the switch in DEVICES but your trigger is on a VARIABLE
called 'Door Sensor 1'?

It looks like your trigger should be on the DEVICE that you're seeing, not on a variable?

Try that, and if you still struggle, are you familiar with taking screenshots and posting them here?

Peter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:58 am
DaveL17 offline

Hopefully, this will help you.

When the door becomes 'on':
Screen Shot 2015-11-05 at 4.54.05 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-11-05 at 4.54.05 AM.png (63.66 KiB) Viewed 2482 times

Turn light on, and then turn it off after 2 and 1/2 minutes.
Screen Shot 2015-11-05 at 4.54.18 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-11-05 at 4.54.18 AM.png (76.7 KiB) Viewed 2482 times

After you get the first light to work the way you want, go back and select the "Add New" button at the bottom of the Actions tab and repeat for your two other lights.

Good luck,
Dave

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:21 am
autolog offline

daystar123 wrote:
I'm trying to get my bathroom light to come on when door opens i can see the door switch going off/on by the event log. i have tried everything i know without luck tried even asking for tech support and was told the software is DIY keep trying. what i want is three lights to come on and after 2.5min turn off the brightness is set at 20% willing to pay for help if someone can help. Thanks for taking the time to read this post
I am intrigued as to who you were asking for Tech Support from to elicit that response?

To further add to the help, I have a set of triggers set-up for my Ensuite bathroom to turn on the light at night.
I have two triggers on door opening:
  1. if it is dark and the light is off, I turn on the light.
  2. if it is dark and the light is on, then I turn off the light after 5 seconds

So at night on first opening of the door, the light turns on. I close the door and then use the facilities :wink: On the second opening of the door the light is turned off but after a delay of 5 seconds so that I can see enough to get out of the doorway and close the door.

Hope this helps :)

Posted on
Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:55 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

We generally don't directly address statements like this, but in this situation it's probably justified. So, just to clarify, that is not exactly what we told daystar123. His email asked us about this scenario and offered to pay us to implement it for him. We described the solution in general terms and pointed him to the documentation and to the forums as good sources of information and help. We then let him know (as all of you know) that we sell/support the software but can't perform installations, even for money, because we are a small 2 person company and have to stay focused on the software. Another email identified his age and asked again for us to do it for money.

So, at no point did we refuse to help. We did decline to do the implementation for him. Pointing him to the forums allows not only him to get the answer, but becomes a public record of the question and responses so all customers can benefit.

Back to the question at hand. Dave's solution is close, but doesn't get the brightness to 20%. That complicates is somewhat, but it's still pretty straight-forward. Also, there were a few more details in the email: he only wants it to happen after 7:30pm and he's using an I/O Linc with a magnetic switch (I'm assuming it's a sensor on the door to indicate open/closed status).

So, based on Dave's post, let's modify the trigger. Since it's an I/O Linc, you'll want to select your I/O Linc from the Device popup (leave the Type set to Device State Changed). Select Binary Input 1 from the popup below the device and Becomes Open from the one below that:

ss70.png
ss70.png (58.27 KiB) Viewed 2403 times

That says the trigger will fire when the input opens - assuming it's a sensor on the door, then this trigger will fire when the door opens.

Next, we need to satisfy the 7:30pm condition, so we add a condition:

ss76.png
ss76.png (69.71 KiB) Viewed 2403 times

If you only added greater than 7:30pm, then the trigger would only fire between 7:30pm and midnight. I'm guessing that you want it to come on at 2am (for example). So we make the condition that the time is between 7:30pm and 8am (I picked that arbitrarily).

Finally, for each light you want to come on, you'll need two actions - one to set the brightness to 20% and another one to turn the light off (after a delay of 2.5 minutes). The first action:

ss74.png
ss74.png (68.22 KiB) Viewed 2403 times

Select the appropriate device in the Device popup. This turns the light on to 20%. Then click the Add New button and create the second action:

ss75.png
ss75.png (71.14 KiB) Viewed 2403 times

This says to turn off the light after delaying 2:30 - see the Delay by checkbox towards the bottom of the screen. This action will wait for that delay amount before executing.

I believe that's pretty close to what you're wanting to do.

We have a wiki page that has links to some common scenarios that many people want to do - we highly recommend walking through those how-tos. This is a great way to get familiar with Indigo.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:45 am
DaveL17 offline

Re: [ANSWERED]trigger light on with door with

DOH! Missed the 20%. Thanks Jay!
Dave

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:05 pm
daystar123 offline

Re: [ANSWERED]trigger light on with door with

I thank everyone for the help with my problem. Changing from PC to iMac has put it tole on me but with all your help my life is getting back to normal THANKS AGAIN!

Page 1 of 1