Email-To-Text Notification Slow (Verizon)

Posted on
Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:47 am
zeigh offline

Email-To-Text Notification Slow (Verizon)

Hello,

Does anyone send out email notifications going to a text messaging recipient? Have you recently seen a huge delay of such messages being received?

In just the last week email notifications sent to my iPhone as a text (example of 1234567890@vtext.com) have been delayed an average of 2-3 hours. Before this issue occurred, such messages only took 15-30 seconds. The Indigo log shows "Email send timeout. Resend in 10 minutes.", but eventually succeeds. Testing from within Indigo to a "real" email address (example@example.com) shows no such problem, nor does sending an email to my iPhone directly from an email client on the same Mac. So, something has changed with the way that Indigo processes such email-to-text notifications. Updating the software, restarting, and other basic troubleshooting is not helping.

BTW, here is a link from Verizon that shows how this kind of message is possible (and other cellular providers have similar), just in case you might be interested yourself:
http://www.verizonwireless.com/news/art ... aging.html

“Technological change is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.” (Albert Einstein, 1941),
Dr. Z.

Posted on
Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:05 pm
jltnol offline

Re: Email-To-Text Notification Slow (Verizon)

Dr. Z

Just as a test, I set up a schedule to sent a "vtext" to my phone...

worked as expected... in about 15-20 seconds, give or take a few.

Don't know/ can't think of what might be causing this from an outgoing mail sever perspective... since your email client sends them right thru... my only tiny suggestion is to make sure that the out going mail server you use in your email client is the same outgoing mail server you've got set up in Indigo... past that... I got nothin'.....

Posted on
Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:17 pm
Alphaman offline

I bypass the email-to-text gateway, mostly for that reason: it's sluggish.
I use the following AppleScript in my actions to send a text message via iMessage instead:
Code: Select all
 tell application "Messages"
   set myid to get id of first service
   set theBuddy to buddy "email@icloud.com" of service id myid
   send "This is the text in the message to the recipient." to theBuddy
end tell

You, of course, need to setup Messages on your Mac and leave it running. If you want to be able to identify that the messages are coming from your Mac, it will need its own iMessage account, too.

Posted on
Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:43 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

No delays on AT&T. From the error, it appears that the mail server that's sending your emails is periodically wigging out. Might try using a different mail server.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:02 pm
zeigh offline

Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

I have double-checked all of my settings and the problem still remains. The odd thing is, the exact same settings for email-to-text messages on another Mac in another state work flawlessly. Still, the iMessage idea sounds like a more efficient option in the long run and I will change notifications via that route. I just need to wait a few weeks for when I will migrate all of my Indigo data and control to a new Mac.

“Technological change is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.” (Albert Einstein, 1941),
Dr. Z.

Page 1 of 1