[ANSWERED]I must be doing something wrong with all these...

Posted on
Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:43 am
AusTxNerd offline

[ANSWERED]I must be doing something wrong with all these...

I'm really just getting started with Indigo. I have some Insteon devices and some Hue lights. I can control them with Indigo just fine. Now I'm setting up triggers to "link" an Insteon SwitchLinc to a hue light. The load on the SwitchLinc isn't connected to anything. The Hue light is in a floor lamp that's always plugged into power. Previously, before I got Hue, the floor lamp was plugged into an Insteon dimmer module and the SwitchLinc was linked directly to it.

So to make the SwitchLinc work the same with my Hue light, I've created triggers... nine of them:

indigo.png
All of the triggers for this one link
indigo.png (96.3 KiB) Viewed 1999 times

Here's what I created:
- a basic on/off trigger [2]
- a full one (double tap) trigger [1]
- triggers to support brightening the lamp when the SwitchLinc is held up [2]
- triggers to support dimming the lamp when the SwitchLinc is held down [2]
- triggers to detect a change in the Hue light (say from the Hue app) and set the SwitchLinc appropriately so its LED is in the correct state [2]

Those are my 9 triggers. Am I missing something? Is there a better way to connect the Insteon switch and Hue light? Can I write a more generic trigger? Do I need to create a plug-in to handle all of these trigger cases?

I'll probably add some other Hue lights, so I can see wanting to do this with another switch and lamp. I'd like a solution that doesn't require me creating 9 triggers each time.

Thanks!

Posted on
Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:24 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: I must be doing something wrong with all these triggers

The technique you outlined is correct, albeit unwieldy.

It could be done via a plugin as well. There is an example plugin in our SDK download that shows how to receive the lower level INSTEON commands as they come in. So you could create a handler there that catches the message then routes them to the correct Hue action.

Posted on
Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:57 am
AusTxNerd offline

Thanks Matt. I just wanted a little confirmation that I was doing things correctly.

I'm downloading the SDK and will take a look. Maybe I'll feel motivated to give that a try :)

Thanks!

Posted on
Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:02 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

The Event Log will be your friend for figuring out the incoming packets. I'd just log the incoming commands in detail then press the buttons you want to capture so you can see what type of data to match.

Posted on
Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:57 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I'm not sure what you're doing when you see a start brighten/end brighten pair - maybe there's corresponding start/end brighten actions for the Hue (I don't know much about that plugin)

However, I suspect you can somewhat simplify by using the Match Brightness action whenever you see a change in brightness (either on the SwitchLinc or on the Hue bulb itself) - that way you don't need to separate out on/off/brightness changes - just watch for any change in brightness.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1