Jason G. offline

Re: FileIOError

Sounds great Matt, thanks!

Posted on
Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:57 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Indigo 2021.2.0 is now available and includes more verbose logging when the FileIOError -- cannot create file path error occurs. Hopefully this will help us track down the issue.

Posted on
Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:10 pm
brlandy offline

I just started to get this error recently, within the last month or so. It's interesting to see others have had this for much longer. I'm not sure what changed. Anyway, here is a snippet from my logs on 2021.2.0:

Code: Select all
2021-12-22 04:00:00.405 Schedule        Reload Better Email
2021-12-22 04:00:00.455 Application     Reloading plugin "Email+ 2021.2.0"
2021-12-22 04:00:00.456 Application     Stopping plugin "Email+ 2021.2.0" (pid 70949)
2021-12-22 04:00:07.473 Application     Stopped plugin "Email+ 2021.2.0"
2021-12-22 04:00:08.980 Application     Starting plugin "Email+ 2021.2.0" (pid 74240)
2021-12-22 04:00:15.074 Email+ Error    Error in plugin execution InitializeMain: FileIOError -- failed to create file ref path (file or directory not found)
2021-12-22 04:00:15.074 Application     Stopping plugin "Email+ 2021.2.0" (pid 74240)
2021-12-22 04:00:16.147 Application     Stopped plugin "Email+ 2021.2.0"

Years ago I would have problems with the Better Email plugin and set it to restart every hour. I didn't have time to track down what was wrong then and don't know if it's necessary any longer. So that's why it is restarting, but I have no idea what causes it to stop loading. There were no errors preceding this one in the preceding hour.

Posted on
Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:14 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

A couple of questions about your install:

1) What version of macOS are you running?
2) What format is the disk that Indigo is installed on? (APFS, Case Sensitive, etc)
3) Is the disk an external?
4) Do you have FileVault turned on?
5) Does this error show up for any other plugin? You can search in your previous log files.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:14 pm
brlandy offline

1) 11.6.1
2) System partition, so APFS case insensitive
3) Internal, but the system has external disks attached
4) FileVault is off
5) I have a personal plugin that I also restart hourly (I forget why but I think it was a crude way to force it to re-initialize a list of devices it maintains), it also has shown the problem. So both plugins restart hourly, on the hour, and it varies which one suddenly shows the issue. But whenever the problem manifests I can no longer reload any plugins. Indigo states the plugin cannot be found.

I checked prior logs; I never had this issue on 7.4 or earlier (I checked my logs for all 7.x). I installed 2021.1.1 on 8/23, running macOS 11.5, and the first occurrence was on 11/13. I was running 11.5 until 11/14, when I updated to 11.6.1. I'll keep trying to think of other changes I might have made to the system, Indigo or otherwise, on or before 11/13 but I don't have any ideas right now.

Posted on
Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:34 am
Jason G. offline

Alrighty, the FileIOError happened again today. Where do I look for the new more verbose logging?

Here's what is in my 2022-01-22 Events.txt log file - no errors on 1/21, only started happening at this point in the logs this morning:
2022-01-22 05:12:30.419   Script Error   Error in plugin execution InitializeMain: FileIOError -- failed to create file ref path (file or directory not found)
2022-01-22 05:12:45.347   Error   TriggerAction() caught exception: FileIOError -- failed to create file ref path (file or directory not found)
2022-01-22 05:13:00.306   Error   TriggerAction() caught exception: FileIOError -- failed to create file ref path (file or directory not found)
2022-01-22 05:13:15.327   Error   TriggerAction() caught exception: FileIOError -- failed to create file ref path (file or directory not found)

The errors continued until I did a stop server, start local server. I forgot to kill each process one at a time - I was in the middle of something else and just wanted to get the triggers running again.

MacOS 11.6.2
Installed on internal system partition - APFS (Encrypted) case insensitive
Indigo version 2021.2.0
Not an external disk, but I do have an external hard drive connected to the iMac
I have FileVault turned on

Posted on
Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:17 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Argh, this one is frustrating. Neither of you hit the additional logging I added. I added some more (that you will hit) for the next version. I'm not sure it will help much, but it should at least log what file is trying to be created or accessed. I suspect it won't help because I think the answer will be every file is failing by the time the problem happens.

I've re-read all the posts on this thread to try to get a better idea of what might be causing this and I'm not coming up with much. From the error type and the fact that stopping/restarting the Indigo Server fixes the problem is sure sounds like the process is running out of file descriptors it can create but Jason's lsof results all look normal so I'm not sure that is the case.

I've tried to reproduce the problem here a few different ways with no luck. Given we only have a few users hitting this (and several that run error free for several months at a time) I think the problem must be specific to your configurations, likely scripts or plugins.

I would suggest that Jason disable execution of his reconcile.py script to see if that prevents the problem from occurring, but it occurs infrequently enough I'm not sure that will help much. One thought is to increase the frequency of the reconcile.py script execution. I'm not sure what all the script does, but if it can complete in less than a second then can you try executing it every second (or two) instead of every 15 seconds? I'm curious if doing so increases how often the problem happens. If we can nail down the configuration / steps to reproduce the problem then we can troubleshoot it here in more detail.

Posted on
Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:31 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Also right now, as a baseline, execute this command from Terminal:

sudo lsof -n +c 50 | cut -f1 -d' ' | uniq -c | sort | tail -n 30

and then do it again when the problem happens so we can compare.

Posted on
Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:42 am
Jason G. offline

Sounds good - I cranked up reconcile.py to run every second, we'll see if this makes it happen more frequently.

Here's my current lsof from your command:

115 1Password
 117 master
 120 Trello
 122 com.apple
 122 node
 124 Messages
 124 Notes
 125 SoundSour
 131 Google
 131 prl_clien
 150 bird
 155 AppleSpel
 168 suggestd
 200 mds_store
 218 UserEvent
 246 Safari
 248 OmniFocus
 252 UserEvent
 253 Google
 270 corespotl
 273 com.apple
 277 Mail
 283 Path\x20F
 301 com.apple
 315 Dropbox
 317 IndigoPlu
 331 pycharm
 361 com.apple
 488 cloudd
 542 com.apple

Not sure if you cared what it was now, or only in comparison to when the error occurs. I'll repeat if/when the error happens again.

Posted on
Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:40 am
vvrangler offline

Hi Jay,

Is this the debug that you are looking for?

2022-02-25 12:23:01.193 Error FileIOError -- failed to create file ref path (file or directory not found)
2022-02-25 12:23:01.253 Script Error Error in plugin execution InitializeMain: FileIOError -- failed to create file ref path (file or directory not found)
2022-02-25 12:23:01.318 Script Error GetIndigoProcessCount.py: FileIOError -- failed to create file ref path (file or directory not found)
2022-02-25 12:23:01.318 Script Error Exception Traceback (most recent call shown last):

GetIndigoProcessCount.py, line 18, at top level
StandardError: FileIOError -- failed to create file ref path (file or directory not found)

2022-02-25 12:23:01.498 Error FileIOError -- failed to create file ref path (file or directory not found)
2022-02-25 12:23:02.179 Error FileIOError -- failed to create file ref path (file or directory not found)

For reference, here is line 18 from that script

Line 17: xcount = len(x_procs)
Line 18: statusMessage = "IndigoPluginHost processes: " + str(xcount) + "/" + str(count) + str(x_procs).replace("', 'vvrangler","\n").replace("['vvrangler","\n").replace("]","").replace(str(indigo.server.getInstallFolderPath())+"/IndigoPluginHost.app/Contents/MacOS/IndigoPluginHost -p1176 -x/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/indigoScripts/","")
Line 19:indigo.server.log(statusMessage)

I also noticed that in a couple of my log files I got the FileIOError exactly one time and then everything went back to normal.
2022-02-28 14:57:55.916 Script Error Error in plugin execution InitializeMain: FileIOError -- failed to create file ref path (file or directory not found)

2022-03-05 15:03:20.748 Error ProcessEvents() caught exception: FileIOError -- failed to create file ref path (file or directory not found)

I didn't really see anything different around the time these happened compared to the others.

Posted on
Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:28 am
Jason G. offline

And it happened again.

Here's the output from the lsof command:

80 com.apple
  81 Dropbox
  84 mDNSRespo
  85 GlobalPro
  85 com.apple
  87 CalendarA
  90 awdd
  98 com.apple
 104 1Password
 104 com.apple
 111 SoundSour
 117 master
 130 com.apple
 131 prl_clien
 141 AppleSpel
 152 bird
 166 suggestd
 167 com.apple
 178 com.apple
 191 com.apple
 203 mds_store
 212 Mail
 218 UserEvent
 228 Dropbox
 238 Safari
 252 UserEvent
 266 com.apple
 308 corespotl
 317 IndigoPlu
 419 cloudd

Uptime on my computer was only a few hours when this started, thanks to the latest macOS update - 11.6.5 - my iMac is too old to get v12.

I'm on Indigo v2021.2.0.

The error apparently started happening yesterday at 9:13 pm:

2022-03-16 21:13:27.460   Received INSTEON   "Kids Bathroom Light" on
2022-03-16 21:13:43.888   Received INSTEON   "Kids Bathroom Light" off
2022-03-16 21:13:47.561   Error   FileIOError -- failed to create file ref path (file or directory not found)
2022-03-16 21:13:48.357   Error   TriggerAction() caught exception: FileIOError -- failed to create file ref path (file or directory not found)
2022-03-16 21:13:49.364   Error   TriggerAction() caught exception: FileIOError -- failed to create file ref path (file or directory not found)
2022-03-16 21:13:50.371   Error   TriggerAction() caught exception: FileIOError -- failed to create file ref path (file or directory not found)

Let me know what else I can do to help troubleshoot.

Thanks,
Jason

Posted on
Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:12 pm
Jason G. offline

I'm turning down my schedule on the reconcile.py to every 15 seconds, unless you guys want me to do any more troubleshooting on this. (It used to run every second.)

Thanks.

Posted on
Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:06 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

That sounds good. I need to spend some more time thinking about this, as all our attempts at discovering the root cause so far haven't led anywhere useful. We are all-hands-on-deck working on the 2022.1 release (for macOS 12.3 compatibility) right now, so it will be a while before I get to it.

Posted on
Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:03 pm
vvrangler offline

Just pinging this thread as we are now on macOS Ventura and this is still happening. Thanks!

Posted on
Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:55 pm
vvrangler offline

Interestingly when this happened today some of my triggers still actually worked, this is new behavior from previous times when this happened no triggers or scheduled events were happening.

Error TriggerAction() caught exception: FileIOError -- failed to create file ref path -- getCatInfo failed (file or directory not found)
Error TriggerAction() caught exception: FileIOError -- failed to create file ref path -- getCatInfo failed (file or directory not found)

Alexa Warning Your reflector isn't available - you won't be able to use Alexa until the reflector is operating correctly.
Z-Wave received "Garage Inside Sensor - (Motion)" status update is off

Z-Wave received "Garage Inside Sensor - (Motion)" status update is on
Z-Wave received "West Hall Motion" status update is off
Trigger West Hall Motion Off - Turn off Master Bedroom Backlights
Action Group MasterBedroomBacklightsOff
Sent INSTEON "Master Bedroom Keypad" raw insteon command (20 09 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00; ack: 09)
Sent INSTEON "Master Bedroom Keypad" raw insteon command (2E 00 00 07 06 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00; ack: 00)

Z-Wave received " Temperature (Attic)" temperature update to 65.1 °F

Z-Wave received " Temperature (Attic)" temperature update to 65.3 °F
Z-Wave received " Temperature (Attic)" temperature update to 65.1 °F

Alexa Warning Your reflector isn't available - you won't be able to use Alexa until the reflector is operating correctly.

Schedule Slowly dim Garage Outside Lights after motion

Sent INSTEON "Garage Outside Lights" on to 63