Let's solve occupancy once and for all!

Posted on
Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:34 am
kw123 offline

Re: Let's solve occupancy once and for all!

Slam tech
There are several versions. A1 a2..
the cheaper one (A1) is fine.
The expensive one (a2) has a range of 12 meters and can Rotate faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:21 am
joesan offline

Hmmm, looks very interesting. You're always ahead of the game!

Can you share a schematic and implementation method? I think this is definitely worth investigating further.

Posted on
Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:30 am
kw123 offline

Sorry I am moving from dallas to Vienna. All my indigo stuff has already left my house.

You can check the pibeacon plugin in directory pi you find the py source code that reads the LiDAR device. I recall it is LiDAR xx. Py

In principle you read the LiDAR output ( angle and distance) continuously and compare to the last read ( distance change )
If there is a contiguous change of > x points (next to each other) in one direction ( distance larger or smaller ) you have movement.

Posted on
Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:46 am
joesan offline

Ha, no problem. Good luck with your move.

I'll take a look and see if my rudimentary programming skills are up to the job!

Posted on
Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:50 am
mundmc offline

I realize this involves a camera, but it is less intrusive if it is above a doorway and pointing down (as opposed to pointing right at my face as I’m sitting on the couch):

https://www.pyimagesearch.com/2018/08/1 ... e-counter/

This is less expensive than the LIDAR option, But it involves having a raspberry pi 3B over the doorway; I doubt this will run well on a nano

Posted on
Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:02 pm
norcoscia offline

Very nice setup — and love your shirt :lol:

_______
Norm

Posted on
Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:22 pm
joesan offline

Mundmc - that looks just about perfect! Thank you so much for highlighting this. It also looks kind of achievable too. I'm going to investigate further.

Posted on
Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:00 pm
mundmc offline

joesan wrote:
Mundmc - that looks just about perfect! Thank you so much for highlighting this. It also looks kind of achievable too. I'm going to investigate further.
Happy to help! I did a shallow dive on opencv a few years ago when i did the fast.ai deep learning web course- opencv (while not machine learning at that time) was helpful and really powerful.

Again, this DOES mean mounting a camera at every door threshold. If it were me, I would use a cheap usb cam and run a long cable to the raspi. USB cameras do not perform as well as the native raspi cameras that run on a ribbon cable, but the max length of that ribbon cable is not very long (so i’ve read, rarely more than 1 m recommended).

Nevertheless, I am doing a more intensive skill-building project on a raspi 3B (pan-tilt camera on an arduino and raspi with opencv and face tracking), and the difference between an external usb cam and the native raspi cams is about 5fps (not problematic).

If you decide to tackle this and can run it on a raspi zero, i would definitely implement that on the doorways to my house!

Posted on
Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:19 pm
VincentS offline

Hi,

I found out that fingscan in combination with Geofency works real well. The only problem I found with Finscan is that devices sometimes disconnect and reconnect.. In my case It means that some triggers will fire again.. For that reason I use Geofency as a backup....

It is not perfect but I'm playing around with Joe/ Flying drivers Occupatum.. It works really well with motion detectors but I miss the possibility to add a fing device to it.

Kind regards
Vincent

Posted on
Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:21 pm
kw123 offline

You should set the expiration time to a longer value. In fingscan.