Under cabinet lighting

Posted on
Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:36 am
Hap offline

Under cabinet lighting

Situation, in my home office I have two sets of under cabinet LED lights controlled by Insteon on/off inline modules. I have zero issues with the modules, but the lights are failing one at a time (they are about 14 years old) and I need to figure out a replacement. The lights are mounted under build-in bookcases that drop about 4ft from the ceiling, 3 full sections (72") and a half section (36") on north wall and 2 full sections + a half on the south wall. Photo of the north wall attached for reference (you can see the sections with failed lights).

First - I'm really struggling to find a close replacement for the GE under cabinet lights (under cabinet, dark colored chassis, linkable, LED, warm colors). Secondly I would like some expanded capability if at all possible, although not at the cost of reliability. I have find a semi acceptable direct replacement for the lights, but not perfect.

The additional capabilities I would like would be color control/brightness control/individual light control. I'm pretty sure I can get brightness/on-off control simply by using individual modules. Color control would mean the light itself has controllable capabilities. However, not interested in sacrificing reliability of control for any of that. I have an ElGato WiFi light and I have to reset it a couple of times a week to get it back on WiFi (always plugged in, so not battery issue). Something that unreliable is not acceptable.

So, turning to the members of this forum for ideas. Straight replacing the lights is about $1500, so I'm not opposed to solutions in that price range obviously. I'm more interested in low maintenance, just works than cost.
Attachments
IMG_0718.jpg
IMG_0718.jpg (337.75 KiB) Viewed 2016 times

Posted on
Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:03 am
jltnol offline

Re: Under cabinet lighting

so one thing that may help find a solution is to know if the current Insteon modules are in the ceiling? in the wall? under the bookcase? How close is 110VAC? Do you want each section of shelf to have its separate on/off strip? one switch for all? one switch for the long side and one for the short side?

There are plenty of very inexpensive LED strips that would work, but most require some kind of power supply and a small module to allow control by Indigo. Putting all this (or any) hardware in a place that is acceptable may be your biggest problem.

I've used both LIFX and Hue light strips which cost more but do offer an easier integration with Indigo and more versatility, and one or the other may work for you, aside from the hardware installation issues.

Posted on
Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:03 pm
Hap offline

Both walls are open, air conditioned storage space with no sheet rock (edit: the OTHER side of the wall is just framing, no insulation/sheet rock). A/C is directly accessible through the wall at one point for each wall. More could be easily added. Power is not a problem.
Last edited by Hap on Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:11 pm
Hap offline

The LiFX lightstrips look like a solid possibility. My only concern is WiFi reliability. That really annoys me with my ElGato light. Since I would need a total of 12 of the 40" lights. I don't want to go around having to reset troubleshoot the connections all the time. That IS the current advantage of the Insteon setup - it just works. However, I do want the additional capability and this solution is actually cheaper than the best just replace it solution I've found. Will have to extend the power, but I can do that easily.

Posted on
Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:53 am
jalves offline

I was just today pondering replacing the existing up lights and under counter lights in my kitchen. There are some interesting options in the LED strip line that can be controlled by wifi. I believe the Indigo plug-in WLED would enable control over these strips but that's as far as I've gotten with my musings.

Running Indigo 2023.2 on a 24" iMac M1), OS X 14.4
Jeff

Posted on
Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:22 am
Hap offline

Phillips just announced new Hue customizable track lighting, including bars.

First impression article.

Posted on
Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:20 am
jltnol offline

So I will tell you that I had my Lifx connected to a Ubinit access point that was literally one wall and 15' away, and they kept giving me fits. Apparently this is a known issue, but I was reluctant to try some of the solutions proposed, as I felt it was slightly above my pay grade. I added a Netgear Access point (NETGEAR® Insight Managed WiFi 6 AX1800 Dual Band Access Point (WAX610)), which is probably 35' away, and now the Lifx stay connected. Very few errors... and the plugin developer has done a great job of of managing issues when they do pop up.

If I understand, your walls are somewhat open so your range of options seems pretty unlimited.

Posted on
Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:00 am
Hap offline

Maybe that's my issue with the ElGato unit, my network is exclusively Ubiquiti at this point - the single pane of glass management is seductive.Don't really want to move away from it though as my network is currently insanely overkill and it really does work well. I have a new 6E access point in my office and I've seen a large jump in performance for my wireless devices (devices that can be wired are).

UniFi Talk though? What a mess. I would rather deal with freePBXs disaster of a UI than Talk. At least freePBX is very robust and stable.

Posted on
Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:54 pm
ckeyes888 offline

I’ve had great success using ZWave FIBARO RGBW LED controllers.
Have some Lifx as well but are a constant hassle to keep online.

Carl

Page 1 of 1