Virtual Device Group

Posted on
Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:37 am
SearchCz offline

Virtual Device Group

I'm trying to streamline my process for turning entire rooms on and off by creating one virtual device per room that encompasses all of the physical devices in that space. It's working great as an indicator of when the room is "on", and it takes an "off" command like a champ. but I'm struggling to use that virtual device to turn the entire room "on".

Here's a snippet from my activity log that might explain it better?

Code: Select all

Virtual Devices                    sent "vLobby" on
Sent INSTEON                    "Lobby Art" off
Sent INSTEON                    "Lobby Ceiling" on to 0

How do I get Inidgo to send an "on" command to my physical devices when the virtual device is instructed to turn on?

Posted on
Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:14 am
mundmc offline

Re: Virtual Device Group

SearchCz wrote:
I'm trying to streamline my process for turning entire rooms on and off by creating one virtual device per room that encompasses all of the physical devices in that space. It's working great as an indicator of when the room is "on", and it takes an "off" command like a champ. but I'm struggling to use that virtual device to turn the entire room "on".

Here's a snippet from my activity log that might explain it better?

Code: Select all

Virtual Devices                    sent "vLobby" on
Sent INSTEON                    "Lobby Art" off
Sent INSTEON                    "Lobby Ceiling" on to 0

How do I get Inidgo to send an "on" command to my physical devices when the virtual device is instructed to turn on?
To clarify, you are using a Virtual Device group, and it turns all devices off, but not on?

Are use the same implementation but have not had this problem. Can you post your settings for the group?

Some devices don’t respond super well to being in a Device Group, but Insteon should be fine.

Posted on
Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:43 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

If you're using a Device Group then the value for "on" is probably saved as off. Turn on all the devices in the room, then edit the Device Group and select the Update All button to update the state for each device in the group. We had requests to allow devices to be set to OFF when the group is turned ON, so we save the state the device is in when you create the group as the default value for ON, and some of your devices were probably OFF at that time.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:00 am
SearchCz offline

Good tip - worked perfectly.

Page 1 of 1