Adding Coloured Lights (A19) To An Indigo Installation

Posted on
Tue May 04, 2021 9:33 am
SearchCz offline

Adding Coloured Lights (A19) To An Indigo Installation

The 18 CFL bulbs on my patio are finally starting to die out, and I'm trying to decide about replacing them with smartphone controlled coloured bulbs. I have a slew of HUE bulbs and strips and light bars integrated already, but bringing that technology out to the patio will cost me about $1k for 18 bulbs. I am super comfortable with HUW, but I wonder if there are alternatives I should consider that are less expensive?

I also use HomeKit, and I have a couple of other bridges set up (TP-LINK, SmartThings, HUE of course).

Posted on
Wed May 05, 2021 8:22 am
jltnol offline

Re: Adding Coloured Lights (A19) To An Indigo Installation

You might consider Lifx. While I'm not sure they make anything that will work outside, the ones I have inside (2 strips and 1 bulb) have been great. The setup process isn't as straightforward as it should / could be, but you only have to do it once. The Lifix plugin has gone thru some changes, and seems really rock solid now... And these bulbs all work via WiFi so no need for anything extra like a hubs and such.

I've still got some HUE bulbs inside, but really don't plan on adding my more when Lifx works jut as well and is cheaper.

Posted on
Wed May 05, 2021 2:09 pm
SearchCz offline

jltnol wrote:
You might consider Lifx. While I'm not sure they make anything that will work outside, the ones I have inside (2 strips and 1 bulb) have been great. The setup process isn't as straightforward as it should / could be, but you only have to do it once. The Lifix plugin has gone thru some changes, and seems really rock solid now... And these bulbs all work via WiFi so no need for anything extra like a hubs and such.

I've still got some HUE bulbs inside, but really don't plan on adding my more when Lifx works jut as well and is cheaper.

This is under a patio canopy, so very well sheltered. But it gets cold in the winter time, so I'm not sure if the Lifx will work for me. I like the price on the NanoLeaf A19 though ! About $20 US per bulb.

Posted on
Wed May 05, 2021 8:41 pm
RogueProeliator offline

I have a set of 4 LIFX bulbs under the front porch... In terms of weather, they are protected under the porch and have held up well in terms of visual appearance. However, I find them a tiny bit hit-and-miss in terms of operation -- they tend to lose connection and not be recognized/controllable in Indigo OR their app. They are not far from access points so I don't think that is the issues. SO, I guess the humidity here could be the blame with it being outside. :shrug:

Adam

Page 1 of 1