Good Garage Door controller

Posted on
Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:46 pm
Different Computers offline

Re: Good Garage Door controller

FlyingDiver wrote:
What door opener do you have now? The opener, not the third party controller.

it's a "Marantec Residential Garage Door Operator Series Models M4500 M4700 Q770 Q7900"

It literally lists all those model numbers on the one sticker. Since my door is small and light, I would guess the M4500, but who knows.

The Insteon remote I had worked with it for a year, but then the Insteon side of it died and I don't want to end up with another one of those that will only last a year.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:51 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Not a model I've ever heard of. Does the wall controller look like a simple doorbell button, or is it more complex?

Most garage door openers in recent years use a rolling code opener, even for the inside button. So you can't substitute a simple switch or relay. If you have that type, the only way to use a simple relay type controller is to connect it directly to the pushbutton contacts inside the wall switch. There's lots of sources out there that show you how to do that, but you do need to be handy with a soldering iron.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:57 pm

the wall switch is slightly more complex than a doorbell--it also has a switch for the light. Plus it controls another garage door--or it would, if that other opener wasn't in need of service from the installers.

But there's clearly no real logic circuit in the switch. I think it is just contacts.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:59 pm
FlyingDiver offline

How many wires in and out? Is there a battery? Can you post a photo?

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:50 pm
tazswe offline

I found this, you can operate it with a dry contact between terminal 3 and 4.

Skickat från min iPad med Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:16 pm
tazswe offline

You have 24v on terminal 5 on your opener.
A simple magnetic sensor and connect terminal 3&4 to where it is mentioned switch contact on the Shelly 1.

This is for 24v and NOT 220v.

Sent from my iPad with Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:55 pm
durosity offline

Alternative idea.. do you have an alarm system that’s hooked into indigo? If so you could potentially use a PGM with a relay? Side benefit you can still control it via a keypad even if indigo is unavailable!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Computer says no.

Posted on
Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:01 am
agame offline

Aha!

Shorting does NOT do it, so that's not going to work for me. Thanks.

so you have a flood of suggestions for different relays....but none of these will work if the circuit does nothing! The Insteon device you're replacing is just a relay so if it ever worked we can be confident you have a new and different problem given shorting the circuit is all any relay will do (Taswe's posted wiring diagram also confirms that you should be closing an open circuit).

(Conceivably, you were using the 8-channel relay perfectly after all, the Insteon never failed, and you may even be competent in mqtt without realising!!!)

if you are 100% sure you're wired to the correct terminals, and nothing else has changed since removing the Insteon (eg mixing the door sensor inputs with the relay outputs), try running a new cable. Also, if you're piggy-backing a physical switch circuit that is using the same terminals, remember you need to be wiring in parallel, not adding the relay in series (or neither will work unless they're both activated simultaneously).

Posted on
Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:00 am

Thanks all for the assistance. I'm going to revisit the wiring test. Just to be clear--the Insteon opener DID work... until it didn't. So I apparently had that wired correctly. The problem with the Insteon controller was upstream of the wiring if I recall, but at this point it has been two years or so since it went bad. Still, as I recall, the issue was that it stopped responding to Insteon commands, not that Indigo controlled it but nothing occurred.

I'll grab some jumpers and start experimenting. :)

Posted on
Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:43 am

The good news is that some further testing of the wiring setup shows it does work with just a dry contact closure.

So that's one of the two barriers to it working down. Now to figure out how to get the 8 channel relay installed somewhere that makes sense for both future use and ease of network drops!