Current state of 3-way switches?

Posted on
Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:26 am
mundmc offline

Current state of 3-way switches?

I searched and did not see anything recent.

I have to redo much of my three floor hallway due to water damage, the bright side is replacing some old wiring and rethinking the three-way switches.

Given Insteon, Zwave, and Lutron, what are people uysing for three way switches?

Worst case, I MAY be able to simply put a tiny zwave box in each respective light housing, though I prefer to upgrade the actual switches if possible.

Posted on
Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:17 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Re: Current state of 3-way switches?

For Lutron, you use an in-wall dimmer at one end of the circuit (the load end), and a remote at the other end. They're specific devices for the purpose. For RRa2, the only difference is that the actual switch has the LEDs on it, and the remote (RD-RD) does not. But same paddle controls. Similar for Caseta, but the remote end is an actual wireless Pico remote in a wall mount.

I just redid the switches in my stairwell, from the builder's hard-wired three way circuits to Lutron RRa2. I ended up adding a keypad at the bottom of the stairs and not using the three-way wiring at all. The original electricians ran both line and load to the boxes in the upstairs hallway, and ran just a pair of 14/3 to the downstairs boxes (one for each circuit). With the dimmers upstairs and a keypad (not a remote) at the bottom, those switch leg 14/3s are unused.
Last edited by FlyingDiver on Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:35 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I just installed an Inovelli Z-Wave dimmer with a GE Add-on switch using the standard 3-way wiring. Seems to be working well though I just installed it yesterday so no significant experience yet. You can also use two smart Z-Wave switches and link them (assuming they support the correct associations, the Inovelli ones do) though you might have to implement some triggers in Indigo to keep them in sync (Inovelli has a nice writeup about doing this and the sync issue it introduces).

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:46 pm
mundmc offline

Thanks guys.
I prefer to try and keep the hardwired option, and those GE extender switches look pretty darn good.

Posted on
Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:57 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

A couple of days under my belt and it seems to be working really well FYI.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:52 am
mundmc offline

Sweet, Inovelli seems like a great product, and the GE add-on switches are cost effective

Posted on
Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:08 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

We've received a lot of requests like this, both here on the forums and in support emails and support form requests. I've just created a new forum to discuss options for switching between technologies (not expressly concerning Insteon, but rather a more general place to discuss switching between technologies). Please read the rules for posting there before posting so we can keep that forum useful.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:09 pm
mundmc offline

jay (support) wrote:
We've received a lot of requests like this, both here on the forums and in support emails and support form requests. I've just created a new forum to discuss options for switching between technologies (not expressly concerning Insteon, but rather a more general place to discuss switching between technologies). Please read the rules for posting there before posting so we can keep that forum useful.
Sweet, thanks Jay you the man

Page 1 of 1