Signal penetration with GoControl GC-TBZ48 Thermostat

Posted on
Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:52 pm
Butch2427 offline

Signal penetration with GoControl GC-TBZ48 Thermostat

I've several Zwave wired & battery powered devices inside my workshop. It's a separate structure (metal pole barn) than my main home, which is where my aeotec gen5 zstick resides. I'm having a hard time getting the zwave signal inside the workshop reliably. The one device inside the workshop that is most reliable is the GoControl GC-TBZ48 Thermostat. That thermostat is powered by the 24v feed from the workshop heater. The batteries are removed.

In Indigo 7.4 the thermostat shows up as a "battery powered" General Thermostat (v2). In the configure thermostat module it does show the proper model number and it does see it's five neighbors.

Will this device repeat zwave signals constantly since it's labelled as "battery powered"?

Posted on
Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:58 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Signal penetration with GoControl GC-TBZ48 Thermostat

It should, at least according to what it claims to be capable of.

You might want to try doing a resync, starting with the thermostat, then moving along to the other devices. This might remedy any Z-Wave routing issues that might be going on.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:29 am
rhanson offline

Also, I could be wrong, but I believe this thermostat changes its behavior based on what it sees when it's booted. If there's no config parameter to set battery vs always-powered mode, then try power cycling it with the power on the 24V line (in other words, reboot with the battery disconnected, as you have it). Then re-sync in Indigo. It should register as an always-on device instead of battery powered. I had a similar thermostat that worked that way also.

Posted on
Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:52 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Ah, great tip! I'd forgotten that some dual power supply devices behaved that way. Thanks!

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:31 am
Butch2427 offline

So far a reboot didn't solve the issue. I tried to re-sync the device via indigo but it timed out, thinking it might be alseep. I noticed that under the device details its still reporting a battery level (100%) even though no batteries are in the thermostat. Looking at the manual it does state the device will not repeat in battery mode but nothing about when on 24v power. I think next I may try to completely remove and re-install it to see what happens.

Page 1 of 1