SimpliSafe or Something?

Posted on
Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:49 pm
Sharek326 offline

SimpliSafe or Something?

I saw that the SimpliSafe Plugin will prob stop working since changes were being done to the API used. That being said I am still trying to Sind something people are using to tie a monitored security system into Indigo. Can anyone offer what you use. I know DSC will work but I was looking for something I can install myself and when I go to the website the nearest distributer is about 200 miles away.

Thanks in advance......

Posted on
Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:53 pm
agame offline

Re: SimpliSafe or Something?

Not sure about the US, but at least in AU, DSC units are readily available for DIY install.

Posted on
Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:29 am
durosity offline

agame wrote:
Not sure about the US, but at least in AU, DSC units are readily available for DIY install.

I’d concur, they’re pretty easy to program. I mean I’m an idiot and I can handle it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Computer says no.

Posted on
Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:51 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Third - I had a GE Networx which was a nightmare. I got a DSC and it was pretty straight-forward. Just buy the gear online and read their docs (which are significantly better than the GE/Interlogix IMO). Lots of people here have installed them so you'll probably be able to pick people's brains, though if they're like me it was set it and forget it... ;)

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:39 pm
Sharek326 offline

I found what I would need on Amazon for DSC PC1616 but wanted to know would I be able to use my existing wireless sensors that are on my doors and windows from my previous system or would I need to use DSC sensors exclusively ?

Posted on
Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:50 am
neilk offline

Generally you should be able to re-use the existing sensors (I was able to as I just changed the panel), the only wrinkle is that the sensors are typically wired with "Dual End of Line" resistors and depending on what the current system required the resistors may need to be changed to the correct values. In may case while not the same, they were close enough to work so I didn't need to do that. (From memory DSC uses 5.6k Ohm and the existing 4.6k ones were close enough)

It starts to sound really complex, however you can just replace the existing resistors in the sensors taking note of the way they are wired. The principle is that the panels detect resistance rather than a simple open/close such that the circuit should always have one resistor in series to indicate it has not been tampered with, and a second wired across the sensor such that when the sensor opens you have two resistors in series rather than one (when the sensor is closed the resistor is bypassed).

I have done three "conversions" and I know others on here know a lot more about it than me so I am sure you will get help.

Posted on
Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:57 am
Sharek326 offline

In the DSC I was adding the wireless receiver keypad to accommodate the sensors since they were all wireless. Will I still be ok with using the existing?

Posted on
Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:38 am
neilk offline

Sorry, I missed the "wireless" bit :oops:

I suspect that they are tied to the specific panel unfortunately, I have limited experience with Wireless sensors, DSC or otherwise.

Neil

Page 1 of 1