Unusual Swithlinc behavior, can someone explain?

Posted on
Mon May 25, 2020 8:22 pm
P15-D24 offline

Unusual Swithlinc behavior, can someone explain?

I have two SwitchLincs set up in a three way circuit. Each at the end of a hallway. I've linked them through Indigo. One I call master, the other slave. Manually if I activate them from either end of the hall everything works exactly as expected. Lights come on/off, the multi LED dimmer displays work correctly on both SwitchLincs.

In Indigo, thing get a little weird. If I click on the "master" SwitchLinc, the lights go on, and the LED dimmer indicator on the "master" switch works correctly. However on the "slave: the LED indicator stays in the off position. If I click on the "slave" SwitchLinc, the lights don't go on, the LED indicator on the "slave" shows an on indication, but the "master" LED is still in the off position.

Also, In the Indigo device linking process why does a controller device get created when I enter a responder? Or is it just picking it up from the drop down list? I did cross link both devices, the master to the slave, and also the slate device to the master.

Is this normal behavior?

Running OS X 12.2.1 on 2018 Mac Mini, Indigo 2022.2
http://www.p15-d24.com

Posted on
Wed May 27, 2020 1:10 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Unusual Swithlinc behavior, can someone explain?

P15-D24 wrote:
In Indigo, thing get a little weird. If I click on the "master" SwitchLinc, the lights go on, and the LED dimmer indicator on the "master" switch works correctly. However on the "slave: the LED indicator stays in the off position. If I click on the "slave" SwitchLinc, the lights don't go on, the LED indicator on the "slave" shows an on indication, but the "master" LED is still in the off position.

This is just the nature of how Insteon links work. You have links in each switch pointing to the other switch, but whenever any other device controls one of the switches (in this case Indigo controlling it) the links are NOT used at all. That is, links are only used in a device when you press the button physically. If you want both LEDs to control from Indigo you need to create another action that controls the other device, or use a PowerLinc Group/Scene that includes both devices. You can also create a pair of Triggers that watch the Device State of the main switch and always force the slave switch to mirror that state.

P15-D24 wrote:
Also, In the Indigo device linking process why does a controller device get created when I enter a responder? Or is it just picking it up from the drop down list? I did cross link both devices, the master to the slave, and also the slate device to the master.

Links always come in pairs. Whenever you add a controlling link a responding link has to be added in the receiving module.

Posted on
Wed May 27, 2020 6:33 pm
P15-D24 offline

Wow, learned a couple new things how Insteon and Indigo work together! :D
What is the max number of scenes that can be defined in the PowerLinc? Are they stored in the PowerLink or refreshed when Indigo launches?

Posted on
Thu May 28, 2020 6:42 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

250 scenes are available for us in the PowerLinc. They are stored in Indigo's database and sync'd into the PowerLinc.

Posted on
Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:20 pm
P15-D24 offline

Background first, I'm accessing the SwitchLinc through a HomePod via the Homekit plugin. With a scene set in the Powerlink and a trigger for on/off I can access the device from the HomePod and the LED indicators respond correctly for on/off. Even better with the HomePod/Homekit bridge the SwitchLinc dimming functionality also works from the HomePod. :D

The nit is the SwitchLink LEDs don't reflect the current dimmed light state, just on/off. Any way to get it to update after a dimming command is sent via the HomePod?

Posted on
Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:51 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

If the LEDs on the SwitchLinc don't match the actual brightness of the load, then there is something wrong with the switch. Indigo sends the brightness to the switch and the switch adjusts the load and sets the LEDs - Indigo doesn't.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1