Tracking a toggle switch state

Posted on
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:57 am
Different Computers offline

Tracking a toggle switch state

I really think this is hopeless, but I don't doubt that many of you are cleverer than I am, and may have hit this issue already.

I have two ceiling fans controllable by Bond Bridge, but the lights on them are controlled by only a toggle on/off command, and there's no status reported to Bond and hence to Indigo as far as I know. Indigo's status for these lights is independent of what they actually are. Turning them on in Indigo when they're actually on just turns them off, and vice versa.

Aside from using the security camera to monitor light levels in the room, and assuming I'm not going to install any new hardware, does anyone have ideas on how I might be able to track the lights' states and know whether the next command is going to turn one off or turn it on? Right now I'm resorting to checking the camera each evening after bed, to see if they're on or off and switch them appropriately.

The only simplifying bit in this set up is that these lights essentially NEVER get turned on via the fan's remote, so there's no powerful need to take that into account.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:53 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Tracking a toggle switch state

I'm a bit confused. So does it work correctly currently if it starts in the correct state and then you only control it via Indigo? That is, is your question how to have Indigo sync the state based on external (to Indigo) changes? If so, given the nature of the way it sounds like the Bond Bridge works (one way via RF), I think you would have to use external hardware to monitor the true state (light/lux sensor, etc).

Posted on
Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:12 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Create a variable to track the state of the lights, and set that variable in an action group used to turn the lights on or off.

I assume you're using my Bond Bridge plugin to do this?

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:58 pm
FlyingDiver offline

I was thinking I might be able to update the Bond plugin to make the fan and light both their own devices (in a device group).

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:02 am
Different Computers offline

So does it work correctly currently if it starts in the correct state and then you only control it via Indigo?

Yes.

I assume you're using my Bond Bridge plugin to do this?

Yes.

Thanks.

I was thinking I might be able to update the Bond plugin to make the fan and light both their own devices

I'm not sure how this would make any difference from what I have now. In Indigo, I have a fan control, and I have a light control for each of my fans. The limitation seems to be with the fan hardware and software itself--dimming is managed by holding the on/off button down, and there's only a single button for toggling the fan, so there's no ON or OFF command for the Bond to learn that the remote can send.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:54 am
FlyingDiver offline

Different Computers wrote:
I'm not sure how this would make any difference from what I have now. In Indigo, I have a fan control, and I have a light control for each of my fans. The limitation seems to be with the fan hardware and software itself--dimming is managed by holding the on/off button down, and there's only a single button for toggling the fan, so there's no ON or OFF command for the Bond to learn that the remote can send.

Maybe it wouldn't. But at least the plugin could track what it thinks the state is, based on the commands it's sent.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Page 1 of 1