AirPort Extreme Router Replacement

Posted on
Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:20 am
Fxguy offline

AirPort Extreme Router Replacement

Good morning!

I need help finding a replacement for my AirPort Extreme router that is now 10+ years old. We have several streaming devices now and it simply can’t handle the load. One key feature I’d like in the replacement is the ability to measure data usage (if not by device at least as a whole).

What suggestions are out there that would be compatible with indigo?

Specs are 2,000sq ft home , two stories with basement, router located on first floor. Two ipads, two iPhones, LG streaming TV, iMac, and Mac Pro desktop. Also wireless fridge and printer. Ring doorbell.

Thanks!

Posted on
Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:05 am
peszko offline

Re: AirPort Extreme Router Replacement

I'v just installed couple of Unifi UAP-AC-PRO and the Unifi controller. Apart of the fact, that I now get close to 400mbs on the iphone, the controller can tell you all the details. You can get statistics by device, (down to the minute if you enable it). So far I'm impressed. I have the controller software installed on a Raspberry Pi 4 and its seems to run perfectly. When spring comes, I'll install couple more outside.

Posted on
Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:32 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

A bunch of us use Unifi gear, and it's rock solid. The controller software is great and there's a plugin to integrate it into Indigo if you want. The traditional setup requires a couple of different pieces of hardware (router, switch, access point), but I believe they've somewhat recently release an all-in-one solution (maybe someone who has that can speak up).

Highly recommended...

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:53 am
jalves offline

I'm also following this discussion because I'm in a similar situation. I believe there is a similar thread here.

I found that in the mean time I can extend the life/usefullness of my existing AirPort/TimeCapsule network by taking as many wifi devices off the system as possible. Yes, that is odd to improve your AP system by not using it. ;)

I realized that in my house I have wired connections near a bunch of my devices (TV, cable box, cameras, AppleTV). All I needed to do was to install a cheap 4 or 8 port router behind the TV and could connect to those devices over the wired connection. Did this in 3 rooms of my house (working on the 4th). This took a lot of traffic off of my wifi network and greatly improved the thru-put of my wifi to those devices that really need it.

Running Indigo 2023.2 on a 24" iMac M1), OS X 14.4
Jeff

Posted on
Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:40 am
Korey offline

Fxguy wrote:
Good morning!

I need help finding a replacement for my AirPort Extreme router that is now 10+ years old. We have several streaming devices now and it simply can’t handle the load. One key feature I’d like in the replacement is the ability to measure data usage (if not by device at least as a whole).
Thanks!

Ubiquiti is a very solid choice, they have some cool new products that would be the ticket.

The Dream Machine would be a good replacement

You can Mesh it withBeaconsHD if needed for additional coverage.

--
Korey

Posted on
Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:12 am
Fxguy offline

I've hear a lot of good things about Ubiquiti. Looked up the Unifi and holy cow there are a lot of products... where do I even begin? In the living room I have 6-7 devices that can use an Ethernet Connection alone.

Korey - Looking at the Dream Machine, looks like a good base to build off of.

Posted on
Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:30 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

The Dream Machine is the combo device I was referring to (didn't know the name). The WiFi will be so much better with this router that you may not need to use the wired connections, though if it's convenient to do so it would certainly help with WiFi traffic.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:10 pm
Different Computers offline

the UniFi wifi APs are also MUCH stronger than Airport base stations.

In my old setup, I had multiple Expresses set up to extend the base station signal across my very long house. With a UniFi AP, I could put it centrally and get the whole house and much more of the yard covered too.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sat May 02, 2020 6:47 pm
Fxguy offline

Follow up - upgraded to the Dream Machine and WOW. Perfect! Loving it so far!

Posted on
Sun May 03, 2020 11:54 pm
Doctor Q offline

Fxguy wrote:
Follow up - upgraded to the Dream Machine and WOW. Perfect! Loving it so far!
I just ordered one based on your recommendation. My AE is mounted high up with a custom clear acrylic shelf and this looks like it will fit, though it’s a round peg in a square hole This looks like the router Apple should’ve made.

Posted on
Mon May 04, 2020 6:59 am
jalves offline

For those that are replacing their Apple airport/timecapsule devices, are you doing something to maintain the Time Machine backup capability? I've got several backup methods going right now. With 4 different computers and different levels of critically, I do some combination of time capsule, NAS, and directly connected backup drives. Its the time capsule part of the equation that I'd want to replace. It doesn't look like the Dream Machine provides a USB connection for backup drives.

Jeff

Posted on
Mon May 04, 2020 7:36 am

I kept the time capsules and base stations around, but relegated them to backup devices duties. They are clients of the network, not managing it.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Mon May 04, 2020 9:35 am
jalves offline

Different Computers wrote:
I kept the time capsules and base stations around, but relegated them to backup devices duties. They are clients of the network, not managing it.

That's pretty much what I was thinking I'd do. So, you turned off Wifi on the old devices and just have them connected over ethernet? Right?

Jeff

Posted on
Tue May 05, 2020 8:01 am

That's the best way to do it. If you have to do it over wifi, it's hit or miss on joining another wifi network that isn't provided by an Airport Base Station.

Page 1 of 1