OutletLinc Not Responding to KeypadLinc

Posted on
Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:15 am
Mark offline

OutletLinc Not Responding to KeypadLinc

None of the bottom plugs of my three OutletLincs are responding to the on/off commands from buttons on my KeypadLincs (both newer, dual-band models), even though they all appear in the KeypadLincs' "Manage INSTEON Device Links" dialog as if they should.

Is this not possible, or a bug?

The button presses appear in the log as expected. Top plugs of OutletLincs work as expected from my KeypadLincs.

This is three OutletLincs and two KeypadLincs we're talking about, so I doubt it is any sort of device malfunction.

Posted on
Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:32 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: OutletLinc Not Responding to KeypadLinc

Can you post screenshots of what the links look like (in Indigo's link dialog) and also what is shown in the Event Log when you press the buttons to control the outlets (that don't work)?

Posted on
Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:43 am
Mark offline

Log of two KeypadLinc button presses:

Code: Select all
Feb 25, 2020 at 7:35:53 AM
   Received INSTEON                "E-Back KeypadLinc" off (button 6)
   Received INSTEON                "E-Back KeypadLinc" on (button 6)

I emailed you a screenshot, as I prefer not to publish all my device addresses...

Posted on
Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:04 am
Mark offline

My RemoteLinc button also fails to drive the bottom plug of an OutletLinc. But does drive a top plug. Log and screenshot of Links is virtually identical to the KeypadLinc issue.

Posted on
Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:14 am
Mark offline

And, as you know, while I can give a bottom plug a name, and that name will appear as a "normal" device in the DEVICES list, the bottom plug devices don't appear in the responder popup menu within the "Manage INSTEON Device Links" dialog. While I'm sure there is a perfectly sound programming logic to this, and technically a sound interface logic as well, it is a bit cumbersome that way. I have to bounce back and forth between the Links dialog and the Devices list to remember which bottom plug device belongs to which top plug device... The interface sometimes recognizes the two plugs as separate devices, and other times two components of the same device...

Posted on
Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:16 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Haven't gotten any emails yet...

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:19 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Mark wrote:
While I'm sure there is a perfectly sound programming logic to this, and technically a sound interface logic as well, it is a bit cumbersome that way. I have to bounce back and forth between the Links dialog and the Devices list to remember which bottom plug device belongs to which top plug device... The interface sometimes recognizes the two plugs as separate devices, and other times two components of the same device...

Nothing to do with programming logic. It has everything to do with how Insteon chose to implement this device (poorly). It's a hack like the FanLinc is. We attempt to present each "personality" as an individual device in Indigo because that's how users generally view them (for a FanLinc, there is a Fan device and a Light device). Unfortunately, on the Insteon link side, they can't really be treated as individual devices because that's just not how Insteon linking works. And, while we could probably totally redesign our Insteon linking UI to attempt to account for it, it's just not worth the effort.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:20 pm
Mark offline

I sent the email to both you and Matt... SPAM filter maybe?

Posted on
Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:21 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

You send it to indigodomo DOT com? We don't get email to perceptiveautomation.com anymore.

Posted on
Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:07 pm
Mark offline

Ah, resending...

Posted on
Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:48 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Mark wrote:
Ah, resending...

For future reference, send all correspondence to support AT indigodomo DOT com, not to our personal addresses (where they can more easily get lost/overlooked).

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:15 pm
Mark offline

Will do.

Posted on
Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:36 am
Mark offline

I'm still working on resolving the KeypadLinc -> Bottom Outlet issue, but here's more OutletLinc weirdness. I spotted this in 7.3, and it persists in 7.4 (and 7.41):

When I try to add an OutletLinc as a Responder to an Insteon scene, I can add either the top or bottom outlet. If I try to add both, Indigo deletes the first one. So I can only have one of the two outlets in a scene.

And this just happened: because of the above glitch, I tried to create a scene which controls only the bottom outlet of an OutletLinc. I had planned to run this scene "in series" with a scene that controls the top outlet (both in an Action Group). But when I executed the Action Group, the bottom-outlet scene did not control the bottom outlet. I opened the scene dialog and tried the manual test Send On and Send Off buttons, and they don't work either. I re-synced the links to the OutletLinc, but that didn't help.

Posted on
Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:43 am
Mark offline

Checked the log:
Code: Select all
   PowerLinc                       Linking - syncing remote device "E-Xxx Xxxxx" (address xx.xx.xx, firmware version 44)
   PowerLinc                       Linking - syncing of this device not possible remotely (skipping)
   PowerLinc                       Linking - sync complete

Posted on
Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:23 am
jltnol offline

Just out of curiosity, have you tried creating a trigger from the KPL with the action to the outlet linc?