OutletLinc Not Responding to KeypadLinc

Posted on
Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:30 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: OutletLinc Not Responding to KeypadLinc

Mark wrote:
When I try to add an OutletLinc as a Responder to an Insteon scene, I can add either the top or bottom outlet. If I try to add both, Indigo deletes the first one. So I can only have one of the two outlets in a scene.

This is a known limitation of Indigo. It cannot handle/process having a single controller scene/group control more than one responding target per module. So while a single group/scene can target multiple modules it can target each module only once. The workaround, if this is a PowerLinc based scene/group, is to create more than one group/scene and execute both of them. We've had on our ToDo list to fix this for a while, but it is a complicated architectural level change and the link syncing code is delicate (ripe to break with changes) because of the various ways different modules handle links (and what commands and techniques can be used to read and write links in modules).

Posted on
Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:34 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Mark wrote:
Checked the log:
Code: Select all
   PowerLinc                       Linking - syncing remote device "E-Xxx Xxxxx" (address xx.xx.xx, firmware version 44)
   PowerLinc                       Linking - syncing of this device not possible remotely (skipping)
   PowerLinc                       Linking - sync complete

Which module is that device? That error occurs with some modules that Indigo cannot read/write links from/to. Mainly it is EZIO modules and the IR-Linc because they have complicated links. You shouldn't see that error with the OutletLinc or the KeypadLinc. If you are then open the device dialog for that module and re-Define and Sync it and copy/paste the Event Log results into a reply.

Posted on
Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:58 pm
Mark offline

jltnol wrote:
Just out of curiosity, have you tried creating a trigger from the KPL with the action to the outlet linc?

Not quite sure what your getting at. But I'm not looking for work-arounds, if that's what you're suggesting, I already have those in place. I'm looking to understand why what is seemingly supposed to work doesn't...

Posted on
Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:00 pm
Mark offline

matt (support) wrote:
Mark wrote:
Checked the log:
Code: Select all
   PowerLinc                       Linking - syncing remote device "E-Xxx Xxxxx" (address xx.xx.xx, firmware version 44)
   PowerLinc                       Linking - syncing of this device not possible remotely (skipping)
   PowerLinc                       Linking - sync complete

Which module is that device? That error occurs with some modules that Indigo cannot read/write links from/to. Mainly it is EZIO modules and the IR-Linc because they have complicated links. You shouldn't see that error with the OutletLinc or the KeypadLinc. If you are then open the device dialog for that module and re-Define and Sync it and copy/paste the Event Log results into a reply.

I got the error from the OutletLinc. I'll try your suggestion to re-Define and Sync.

Posted on
Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:03 pm
Mark offline

matt (support) wrote:
Mark wrote:
When I try to add an OutletLinc as a Responder to an Insteon scene, I can add either the top or bottom outlet. If I try to add both, Indigo deletes the first one. So I can only have one of the two outlets in a scene.

This is a known limitation of Indigo. It cannot handle/process having a single controller scene/group control more than one responding target per module. So while a single group/scene can target multiple modules it can target each module only once. The workaround, if this is a PowerLinc based scene/group, is to create more than one group/scene and execute both of them. We've had on our ToDo list to fix this for a while, but it is a complicated architectural level change and the link syncing code is delicate (ripe to break with changes) because of the various ways different modules handle links (and what commands and techniques can be used to read and write links in modules).

OK, thanks for the explanation. I'll quit trying to add both top and bottom outlets to the same scene. But it was creating a second, separate scene, as a work-around, just as you suggested, that revealed the other issue, that of the bottom outlet of an OutletLinc not responding to the scene commands. I'll try to re-sync, as per your other suggestion. Stand by.

Posted on
Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:33 pm
Mark offline

Just sent you an email with the requested logs...