Phase bridging advice needed

Posted on
Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:24 am
wgstarks offline

Phase bridging advice needed

My current system has devices that are attached to two different sub-panels which both feed from the same main panel. One sub-panel is in the main house and the other is in an out building. I think I may be having issues with control signals between the two sub-panels and am looking for advice on how to improve signaling. I have two dual band on/off switches (https://www.smarthome.com/catalog/product/view/id/26270/s/in-linelinc-relay-insteon-2475sdb-remote-control-in-line-on-off-switch-dual-band/) that I plan to install in the main panel (one on each phase) to boost/bridge the signal. Hoping for some opinions on wether or not this will work? Or advice on a better alternative?

Mac Mini macOS 10.15.2 Indigo 7.4.0

Posted on
Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:56 pm
jltnol offline

Re: Phase bridging advice needed

This won't help but Insteon used to make a device to do just this exact thing. AFAK, its been discontinued. No reason why what you are proposing shouldn't work... but I can't say for sure...

Posted on
Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:40 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

How many Insteon devices do you have? If the other building is within RF distance of the house then just getting some additional dual-band modules (like you are planning to do) will probably help.

Posted on
Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:20 pm
wgstarks offline

There are about half a dozen in the out building. The main house has a pair of the old plug-in dual band phase couplings and 2 dual band on/off relays, one of which is in an outdoor flood about 50 feet from the out building. It’s inside a metal weather proof box though, so I’m not sure how strong the rf signal is inside the out building.

Posted on
Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:29 pm
wgstarks offline

Is there any way to test the RF signal strength without special equipment?

Posted on
Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:34 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Unfortunately, not that I'm aware of. Does it sometimes work (what % of commands make it)? I think you'll just have to do some experimenting (like you've currently done). You might try getting some dual band LampLinc modules that you can plug into powerstrips (just to act as repeaters) so that you can easily try different orientations to see if that helps.

Page 1 of 1