Suggestions for Alarms

Posted on
Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:33 am
Sharek326 offline

Suggestions for Alarms

I had been away for awhile and was wondering what everyone is using now a days for alarms.

A few years ago I went with Protect America (monthly fee) because I was young and dumb to Wave and it had support. But you had to use the hub they gave you for all your ZWave. I was locked into a 2 year contract so I just kept it and rode out the two years without integrating. That contract is now up and I am looking for something I can tie into Indigo. I seen a few new Plugins for SimpliSafe and Ring.

Can anyone tell me what people are moving to? What is working well? What isn't supported anymore?

Posted on
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:23 am
Korey offline

Re: Suggestions for Alarms

The DSC PC systems work great and there is a Fantastic plugin.

--
Korey

Posted on
Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:06 am
peszko offline

I use DSC with local company monitoring. It integrates well with Indigo. Have been running it for many years. Used to have some stability problems in the beginning but has been rock solid in last five years or so.

Posted on
Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:09 pm
Sharek326 offline

Thanks for the replies. It was my hope to stay away from DSC since it seems dlike back then you had to use very specific ones in order to make it work which had to be purchased and locate a company and pay for monitoring on top of that.

Posted on
Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:36 pm
peszko offline

Sharek326 wrote:
locate a company and pay for monitoring on top of that.

As far as I know you don't have to go through a company to get one, and you don't need to have it monitored. I personally like it to be monitored and the company I use doesn't charge a lot. But you do need an extra module that will make it work with Indigo.

I'm not sure about now, but when I was getting it installed, the panels they were offering where quite a bit behind the times

Posted on
Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:22 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I replaced the crappy Concord system that came with my house with a DSC Power Series (not the Neo series which doesn't work with the plugin last I heard) that I purchased and installed myself. I then contacted a local monitoring company that is well versed with DSC (and in fact installs them as well) and they came out, programmed in the appropriate phone information, and turned on the monitoring service. They didn't know much about the serial module that I installed that the Mac talks to, but they didn't need to since I did all the installation and config myself.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1