Extend to an outbuilding

Posted on
Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:03 am
mwalker56 offline

Extend to an outbuilding

Hi,

Is there a way to extend my Z-wave network to an outbuilding? I have Ethernet running to it so could add a new controller to the building, but is there a way to include it on my Indigo setup?

Thanks,
Mike

Posted on
Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:32 am
mwoodage offline

Re: Extend to an outbuilding

mwalker56 wrote:
Hi,

Is there a way to extend my Z-wave network to an outbuilding? I have Ethernet running to it so could add a new controller to the building, but is there a way to include it on my Indigo setup?

Thanks,
Mike

Hi Mike,
I’ve extended into my garden with an Aeotec Repeater, it works well and has a reach of about 8-10m from the house.
Once you get a few Z wave units outside then it soon starts to expand the network.

Martin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:45 am
mwalker56 offline

Hi Martin,
Thanks for the response, unfortunately I’ve got about 40m to bridge between the house and building.

Mike

Posted on
Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:45 am
DaveL17 offline

Indigo doesn't support more than one controller at this time. There's a couple options that folks use, however.

I would recommend setting up a Raspberry Pi with a Z-Wave module and Home Assistant. Then, you could send commands to the Pi using the Home Assistant API using Indigo Triggers, Schedules, etc.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:03 am
FlyingDiver offline

DaveL17 wrote:
I would recommend setting up a Raspberry Pi with a Z-Wave module and Home Assistant. Then, you could send commands to the Pi using the Home Assistant API using Indigo Triggers, Schedules, etc.

Or use node-red on the rPi and use MQTT to send messages back and forth. That's what I'm doing with some sensors in a remote building.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:51 pm
agame offline

outdoor zwave range is supposedly upto 100m, so it would depend where you can place powered zwave devices . I'm bridging a 20m jump with the help of a fibaro module in a weatherproof switch enclosure.

I have previously addressed this using an inexpensive Vera in an outbuilding, with the associated plugin. Works fine though its another layer of complexity.

Page 1 of 1