Zwave thermostat/Temp Sensor reporting

Posted on
Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:47 am
Busta999 offline

Zwave thermostat/Temp Sensor reporting

Advice please from anyone who understands how these things work.

I have put a Horseman SES301 Temp sensor on the Hot Water Tank to track hot water heating and shut it off when it hits target temp.

I have got the sensor sensitivity set to 1 = 0.1C changes.

My understanding is that overtime the temp sensor changes by 0.1C it will report that change back to Indigo.

Then the Wake interval is 30 minutes and realistically could be once a day to report Battery level.

And for Thermostats I can need to make it Wake up every 15 mins (or less) to respond to SetPoint Changes sent to it by AutoLogs TRV controller.

Am I understanding this correctly?

Thanks

Posted on
Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:21 am
autolog offline

Re: Zwave thermostat/Temp Sensor reporting

I think your understanding is correct. :)

However, I would set the change at 0.5C to reduce update frequency. I am not sure a hot water tank needs 0.1C change monitoring.

I use a SES303 with 4 attached thermostats (endpoints) to measure the hot water tank temperature at three different levels and the temperature of the incoming boiler pipe.

I use @howartp's Sensor Logger plugin to retrieve the temperature values every 5 minutes (action invoked via a schedule).

Posted on
Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:26 am
Busta999 offline

@autolog

Thanks, the SES301 is a jury rig interim fix until I can get SES303 with pipe temp sensors (not entirely sure why it has a humidity sensor too :-)

The SES301 is just strapped to the Hot water pipe - gives me an indicator that the Hot Water has reached temp good enough for a shower.

I have on 0.1 right now because I am trying to track down an issue of when the Hot Water (Horstmann two channel controller) is turned on and reports it is on but the boiler does not actually turn on. So have had a couple of mornings when the Hot Water is recorded as having been on for 2 hours but not actually fired.

So I have put a trap on it, after 15 mins of Turning on Hot Water if the SES301 has not increased in Temp - re-cycle the the Hot Water On routine.

When it does actually turn on it takes less than 30 mins to get it to temp which lasts the whole day.

I have a spare 2 channel controller so may swap it out and see if it does better.

Posted on
Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:00 am
autolog offline

Busta999 wrote:
Thanks, the SES301 is a jury rig interim fix until I can get SES303 with pipe temp sensors (not entirely sure why it has a humidity sensor too :-)

Well I have the main SES303 unit on the wall in our main bathroom where it measures temperature and humidity.

The endpoints (four of them) are attached to the SES303 using a daisy chained cable.
I drilled a hole through the wall into the airing cupboard (which is beside the bathroom) to feed the endpoints cable through. :)

Page 1 of 1