Phidgets or Arduino or ...

Posted on
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:24 am
hamw offline

Phidgets or Arduino or ...

I currently use a bunch of Phidgets devices with Berkinet’s excellent plugin. However, while this has proven easy to deploy and is very reliable, Phidgets is an expensive set. I’ve looked at Arduino prices and they seem to be much much cheaper, but I’m not sure how the ease of use, plugin support, reliability etc is. I’d like to avoid setting up scripts if possible. I’m looking at temp/humidity and digital I/O - relays.

Any thoughts?

Posted on
Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:17 pm
berkinet offline

Re: Phidgets or Arduino or ...

hamw wrote:
I currently use a bunch of Phidgets devices with Berkinet’s excellent plugin. However, while this has proven easy to deploy and is very reliable, Phidgets is an expensive set. I’ve looked at Arduino prices and they seem to be much much cheaper, but I’m not sure how the ease of use, plugin support, reliability etc is. I’d like to avoid setting up scripts if possible. I’m looking at temp/humidity and digital I/O - relays.

Any thoughts?

The Arduino platform can do everything you could want, But, unless someone has already developed a sketch (Arduino program) for your need, you will have to do the programming. Not all that hard, but definitely harder than plugging in a Phidget. There is an Arduino plugin for Indigo. But, you'd have to look into what it can do for your particular needs.

Page 1 of 1