Home brew Ring style doorbell with 2 way audio - possible?

Posted on
Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:31 am
chobo offline

Re: Home brew Ring style doorbell with 2 way audio - possibl

Hi again Noel, To be clear: the Hikvision is by no means perfect, but I believe it's the best ONVIF compatible option we've got right now.

Good luck finding the appropriate UK transformer — 16-24VAC doorbell transformers are pretty common in the US. Might this be an option https://www.amazon.co.uk/JCL-BT8-8-Bran ... 00K1CWEUG/? Let us know how it all works out for you!

Posted on
Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:33 am
noel1983 offline

chobo997 wrote:
Hi again Noel, To be clear: the Hikvision is by no means perfect, but I believe it's the best ONVIF compatible option we've got right now.

Good luck finding the appropriate UK transformer — 16-24VAC doorbell transformers are pretty common in the US. Might this be an option https://www.amazon.co.uk/JCL-BT8-8-Bran ... 00K1CWEUG/? Let us know how it all works out for you!

Cheers don’t worry not expecting perfection,

Bought a psu recommended by the site I bought from so should be good.

Will post back once I receive it some stage next week

Posted on
Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:22 pm
noel1983 offline

Ok so it arrived today.
Fitted this evening.
Can’t play with it as eldest and wife both revising for exams!!! Apparently a loud mechanical ding a ling doorbell isn’t helpful for revision!

So had to power off and will play tomorrow!

Need to figure out how to ‘interrupt’ the door bell itself with a module/relay, the doorbell wiring has been messing with my head so suspect I’ll need to draw it all out to figure out how to put a relay in place to break it when I don’t want the doorbell to ring. Challenge will be to keep the Hikvision powered so it may be that I have to remove the direct connection and run through the relay with the doorbell circuit as the switch,

Would that work??

So two wires that currently go to chime become the switch inputs to the relay and I power the relay separately then new wires from relay load connections to the chime?

Cheers
Noel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:44 pm
whmoorejr offline

I used an Elk Door Bell sensor to monitor my doorbell that goes to an I/O Link Input. The output of the I/O Link goes to the bell. I can create triggers off the I/O Link input (send camera image via text, announce over alexa, etc..) and I can temporarily disable the I/O Link output to disable the bell. (baby sleeping, etc.)

https://www.amazon.com/Elk-ELK-930-Doorbell-Phone-Detector/dp/B0007N72ZG

My Doorbell is perpendicular to my door, so a door bell camera image would suck. I use a 4MP IP Camera in the window next to the front door just below the "No Solicitor" sign. The primary stream (4MP) is recorded on a DVR. The secondary stream (D1?) for texting images, updating control pages, etc.

I experimented with a home-brew 2-way audio using my Indigo server, a 50 foot powered USB extension and a Webcam. The doorbell would launch a script to initiate a FaceTime call between the server an myself. It worked some of the time. :roll:

Bill
My Plugin: My People