Home brew Ring style doorbell with 2 way audio - possible?

Posted on
Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:02 am
noel1983 offline

Home brew Ring style doorbell with 2 way audio - possible?

Hi all
Tempted to jump into ring having seen amazons heavy promotion of it (albeit at same price it’s been for two months !!) however there’s a few bits of functionality I’d like that it won’t do.

What I would like:

Integration with current mechanical door chime
2 way audio
Slick fast notifications to my phone
Video feed
Ability to not ring the mechanical bell during certain hours or based off calendar triggers ie when I’m on conference calls
Ideally the ability to access the images and recordings myself (the key bit I can’t do with ring)

So question is whether with a combination of a relay, current bell push and a suitable ip camera with 2 way audio and a pushover notification with a url to a page allowing two way audio and viewing of the video is possible/likely to work well?

Has anyone done this?

Could anyone recommend any suitable cameras? They can be any style as it could go anywhere in the porch. What’s key is being able to access to a direct url with 2 way audio on an iPhone

Cheers all
Noel

Posted on
Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:57 am
siclark offline

Re: Home brew Ring style doorbell with 2 way audio - possibl

Definitely interested in thoughts. Want to do the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:18 am
noel1983 offline

Ok so refining requirements for the camera a little.

ONVIF compatible.
PoE ideally given where I want to install this. Power to come over PoE and use wifi for the actual connectivity.
Built in speaker and mic - many outdoor ip cams claim 2 way audio but few seem to have built in speaker.

Whilst it looks a bit 'indoor' this D Link DCS 2330L seems to look good, has cloud capability but full local capability including direct stream and ONVIF. https://eu.dlink.com/uk/en/products/dcs ... ork-camera

Price seems to be £120-130 but not many 'normal' sellers.

The hunt continues....

EDIT: That gets pretty poor reviews on amazon.com.

Hmm this hunt is harder than I thought.

Other advice seems to be that Ring and Doorbird etc use VOIP to give full duplex i.e. proper 2 way audio whereas lots of the ip cameras its more walkie talkie style.

I have a Ring on its way (Amazon suckered me with it on the home page and only 8 left in the colour I liked) so we'll see what impressions of that are!!

Still would far prefer to homebrew it!!!

Posted on
Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:07 pm
durosity offline

Frankly I’d just be happy if Ring gave us the homekit support they promised 2 years ago.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:24 pm
Different Computers offline

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:35 pm
noel1983 offline

From what I’ve read HomeKit Support is coming but to the ring pro only

Saw that article earlier, need to have a look and see if any reasonable day/night cameras out there for the raspberry pi
Cool stuff Altho doesn’t solve my two way audio side of things

Posted on
Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:41 pm
chobo offline

Hi Noel,

Went through a similar search recently. You might need to give the Hikvision WiFi Video Doorbell (DS-KB6003-WIP) a try.

Based on my experiences:

Integration with current mechanical door chime -- YES
2 way audio -- YES
Slick fast notifications to my phone -- YES
Video feed -- YES
Ability to not ring the mechanical bell during certain hours or based off calendar triggers ie when I’m on conference calls -- NO (not without some additional hardware)
Ideally the ability to access the images and recordings myself (the key bit I can’t do with ring) -- YES (ONVIF)

Hikvision is the actual manufacturer of this device and all sorts of people are rebranding it to sell in the U.S.:

A few examples:
    • Clare Video Doorbell
    • LaView Wireless Video Doorbell
    • Nelly's Onvif Compatible Wifi Doorbell
    • RCA Smart Doorbell
    • Uniden U-Bell

Other notes:
    • Audio quality could be improved at both ends (app & device)
    • Hik-Connect app is not as polished as Ring, but it gets the job done w/out monthly fees
    • IR reflection is an issue in some installations
    • Pricing is all over the place -- anywhere from $100 > $200+ (check eBay!)
    • WiFi signal needs to be quite strong at install location

Final thought: need to test this device with the Hikvision Cameras plugin from nlagaros sometime soon.

Good luck with it!

Posted on
Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:01 pm
Professor Falken offline

I've also considered something similar. I don't like the aesthetics of the Ring.

Haven't gotten too far into how to do it... I figured I'd use some type of insteon interface on the regular doorbell to detect a button "push".

The cameras that I thought looked like they had potential were the Axis p-series ones, though I never got far enough into the project to see if they would play nicely with Blue Iris or Indigo. And they are expensive.

https://www.axis.com/en-us/products/axis-p1224-e

And that setup wouldn't meet your audio requirements by itself.

My own implementation would be even trickier on our front door, as we have a true mechanical (turn crank) doorbell. So somehow I guess the sound would have to be detected or something for that door. More likely I'd manage it with some kind of motion sensor or something instead.

Posted on
Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:37 pm
durosity offline

lanbrown wrote:
noel1983 wrote:
Ok so refining requirements for the camera a little.

PoE ideally given where I want to install this. Power to come over PoE and use wifi for the actual connectivity.

The DoorBird cannot do that. You could use a PoE converter for a non-PoE device to get the same results though. On the DoorBird, when you use PoE it disables the wireless.

Why would you want to use PoE for power and WiFi for data? Unless you were just gonna have a local PoE injector and power it that way? But if that was the case you’d be just as well powering it from its mains adapter..

Computer says no.

Posted on
Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:39 pm
durosity offline

noel1983 wrote:
From what I’ve read HomeKit Support is coming but to the ring pro only

Saw that article earlier, need to have a look and see if any reasonable day/night cameras out there for the raspberry pi
Cool stuff Altho doesn’t solve my two way audio side of things

Yeah Pro only.. I’ve got an original.. however I do have an email from a support rep at Ring stating categorically that the original was getting homekit support too.. I replied and asked to confirm it and that if not even installed it yet and perhaps I should just return it and upgrade to a pro but they insisted it’s coming.. so when it doesn’t come I’m gonna demand they upgrade me to a pro for free!

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:27 am
noel1983 offline

durosity wrote:

Why would you want to use PoE for power and WiFi for data? Unless you were just gonna have a local PoE injector and power it that way? But if that was the case you’d be just as well powering it from its mains adapter..

I’m challenged with power on my porch, I have the electric meter (probably best not to tap into that!!) an outdoor light, possible but probably best not to tap into that! Or I can run a cable around 30m along a wall at surface level in some external trunking to the garage which is my plan.

Initial thought was PoE but having thought about it I’m wondering if simply using some more of these https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 1795642067

Would allow me to extend the power cable to these cameras over some external cable in the trunking instead of needing a PoE camera.

I don’t have any data cabling anywhere aside from by the router (travesty I know but rented house) hence WiFi for data.

Posted on
Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:37 am
noel1983 offline

chobo997 wrote:
Hi Noel,

Went through a similar search recently. You might need to give the Hikvision WiFi Video Doorbell (DS-KB6003-WIP) a try.

Based on my experiences:

2 way audio -- YES
Video feed -- YES
Ability to not ring the mechanical bell during certain hours or based off calendar triggers ie when I’m on conference calls -- NO (not without some additional hardware)
Ideally the ability to access the images and recordings myself (the key bit I can’t do with ring) -- YES (ONVIF)

Hikvision is the actual manufacturer of this device and all sorts of people are rebranding it to sell in the U.S.:

A few examples:
    • Clare Video Doorbell
    • RCA Smart Doorbell
    • Uniden U-Bell

Other notes:
    • Hik-Connect app is not as polished as Ring, but it gets the job done w/out monthly fees

Final thought: need to test this device with the Hikvision Cameras plugin from nlagaros sometime soon.

Good luck with it!

Perfect!!! I hadn’t thought about looking at other door bell cameras but this looks great. Amazon UK are at £120 delivered tomorrow or connectecuk £93.70 w/free delivery, this looks to be the answer and I will figure a way to either extend a low voltage cable or to run a mains cable and fit an outdoor socket covered up in the Porch (which will be useful anyway)

Thanks for the tip, will read up and I suspect hit the order button shortly.

Edit:just spotted it doesn’t come with psu so in case anyone else looks at this and wants to buy you need a suitable low voltage ac power supply.

More edits: looks like I could just put the power supply indoors where the current doorbell psu is and use the existing wiring run which is helpful, then just figure how to trigger old bell from new push with different psu

Also has a memory card slot for local recording which I think I’d use too.

Posted on
Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:25 am
noel1983 offline

Lots more useful info here https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/hikvision ... ime.22630/

Just need to check what psu I have currently then I’ll be ordering.

Posted on
Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:00 am
chase offline

Hi Noel,

Based on my experiences:

2 way audio -- YES
Video feed -- YES

A few examples:
• Clare Video Doorbell
• RCA Smart Doorbell
• Uniden U-Bell

Other notes:

Good luck with it!

This doorbell works great with Blue Iris too.

Posted on
Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:08 am
noel1983 offline

Awesome good to hear

Ring one doorbell arrived, even if I hadn’t found the Hikvision courtesy of this thread the ring would be going back.

Big delays, very laggy, landscape only when clicking the notification. I know the ring 2 is supposed to be much better.

So this ring has been returned already through my local parcel drop off and I await my Hikvision delivery!