Physical button recommendations

Posted on
Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:30 pm
noel1983 offline

Physical button recommendations

Hi all,

First I used X10 stick a switch

Then I moved to LightwaveRF wireless switches (4 buttons in 1 gang for £30)

Now i’m Wondering what else is out there that is neat and subtle in appearance, ideally 433MHz or Zwave as thats what I have in place currently

I know there’s a zwave scene controller for £42 for 8 buttons, but hoping I’ve missed something and there’s some other options for me to consider.

Usage varies but basically want it for very fast physical interaction with the automation and various devices. Some buttons may trigger sonos, others lights, another one shortly to ‘latch’ the front door. So a real mixture.

Also open to using non smart buttons like door bell pushes or normal momentary switches and using something else to ‘send’ the signal to indigo.

Thanks all

Noel

Posted on
Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:12 am
howartp offline

Re: Physical button recommendations

I’m using the original switches but with Fibaro switch modules behind or somewhere in the circuit depending on what wiring I’ve got available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:13 am
noel1983 offline

Thanks, I'm looking for 'extra' switches/buttons to do extra things so need to add something extra to the mix.

Posted on
Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:15 am
howartp offline

Ah.

In that case I use the Remotec controllers you mentioned.

My mum actually used hers last night (portable near her lounge seat) for the first time since I gave her it 2 months ago - the battery in motion sensor had gone so lights kept going out every 5 minutes!

Posted on
Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:00 am
siclark offline

I use the Flic buttons for single use, ie to control a lamp or light with the button located near to the light.
I also have some nodon soft remotes that with multiple buttons do a range of tasks from being on the kitchen to control sonos and lights and get moved around, to bring stuck magnetically to washing machine to control power to that and near by external lights and gate locks.

I also changed some wall switches with 2 switches in a single gang back box to 4 switches in double half back box so the additional switches can be used to control other devices via indigo. Ie one of those can turn off the sonos and TV in the kitchen when someone walks out the kitchen.

Posted on
Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:21 am
noel1983 offline

siclark wrote:
I also changed some wall switches with 2 switches in a single gang back box to 4 switches in double half back box so the additional switches can be used to control other devices via indigo. Ie one of those can turn off the sonos and TV in the kitchen when someone walks out the kitchen.

Hi,
Would you mind explaining how you did this? what's the switch wired up to in order to send the signal to indigo?

Any pics?!
Cheers
Noel

Posted on
Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:12 pm
jh71283 offline

noel1983 wrote:
siclark wrote:

Hi,
Would you mind explaining how you did this? what's the switch wired up to in order to send the signal to indigo?

Any pics?!
Cheers
Noel

You could achieve that with the fibaro door / window sensor, as that can be wired to an external switch / button

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:18 pm
noel1983 offline

Great thanks, that’s really interesting as with them being battery powered that’s as good as the wireless lwrf switches I use.

I have some neo coolcam door sensors on the way from AliExpress, I wonder if they have the same external sensor ability.

if I’m understanding it right if I can get power to it then a fibaro universal sensor would also do this and would handle two switches.

And if neutral is available then the relays could be used I think too.

Time to go hunting for some nice attractive momentary buttons!

Posted on
Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:10 pm
siclark offline

I have the polar grid momentary switches which are quite nice.

I have qubino dimmer modules behind those with a 3 way retractive switch that connects to the powered circuit and input 1 and 2.
I then have a 2 way retractive switch that is connected to input 3 and should be associated with another device (except I can't get it to work but others have)

I also use a fibaro dimmer behind a standard toggle double switch. The second switch controls the second input into the fibaro and is associated with 2 other zwave lamps.

This is the picture of my qubino setup with 2 modules and 4 switches.

IMG_0452.JPG
IMG_0452.JPG (366.41 KiB) Viewed 2574 times

Posted on
Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:12 pm
siclark offline

siclark wrote:
I have the polar grid momentary switches which are quite nice.

I have qubino dimmer modules behind those with a 3 way retractive switch that connects to the powered circuit and input 1 and 2.
I then have a 2 way retractive switch that is connected to input 3 and should be associated with another device (except I can't get it to work but others have)

I also use a fibaro dimmer behind a standard toggle double switch. The second switch controls the second input into the fibaro and is associated with 2 other zwave lamps.

This is the picture of my qubino setup with 2 modules and 4 switches.

IMG_0452.JPG

The switches on the left dim up and down 2 different lighting circuits. The ones on the right can control any zwave device with association.

Posted on
Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:16 pm
noel1983 offline

Awesome thanks for the pics,
What are the little grey/silver things? Are they so,e kind of connector block?

Posted on
Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:26 pm
siclark offline

noel1983 wrote:
Awesome thanks for the pics,
What are the little grey/silver things? Are they so,e kind of connector block?

Yes they are connector blocks that use levers rather than screws. Much quicker than usual.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/3-way-lever- ... f-50/76776

Posted on
Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:29 pm
noel1983 offline

Cool! When one day I get back boxes with more than a millimetre of spare space I will be all over those!

Posted on
Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:02 pm
siclark offline

noel1983 wrote:
Cool! When one day I get back boxes with more than a millimetre of spare space I will be all over those!

Ha yes I also bought deeper back boxes and had to dig out insulation to make it fit plus converting it from single to double back box to make it all fix.

Posted on
Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:14 am
howartp offline

Those Wago connectors are awesome.

There’s a small and large pack with several of each size in, then you can buy fillups of the sizes you’re running low on.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/wago-pro-ins ... 0pcs/26171