Garage Door Issue

Posted on
Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:06 am
bluefightingcat offline

Garage Door Issue

I want to add automation to my garage door opener. I already have a garage door opener but I want to connect it to my existing Z-wave network. Unfortunately I have not had any success with the retailer who sold it to me and I was wondering whether anybody here might be able to help.

There seems to be some sort of port at the back of the garage door opener where it would be possible to connect some sort of controller. Unfortunately I have no idea what to connect to it. I've attached a couple of pictures, so that hopefully somebody more knowledgeable than me can point me in the right direction.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Attachments
IMG_20170511_163623.jpg
IMG_20170511_163623.jpg (214.33 KiB) Viewed 2078 times
IMG_20170511_163908.jpg
IMG_20170511_163908.jpg (178.15 KiB) Viewed 2078 times

Posted on
Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:24 am
johnpolasek offline

Re: Garage Door Issue

What brand of opener is it? Have you searched the forum or googled the brand of Garage door opener? There is also a "brute force" solution if the button in the garage is a simple contact closure switch. There are insteon, Z-wave, and rPi options to drive a parallel relay for that contact closure from indigo and all technologies also have magnetic switch sensors to detect if the door is open or closed.

Posted on
Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:30 am
bluefightingcat offline

The door only works with the remotes that were provided. Unfortunately there is no wired switch to the garage door opener. If there was, then it would be relatively easy to setup to my Z-.wave network.

Posted on
Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:21 pm
howartp offline

http://actech-ltd.co.uk/PDF/FB200GarageManual.pdf

Connect PB to Gnd via a momentary switch to operate the door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:46 am
bluefightingcat offline

howartp wrote:
http://actech-ltd.co.uk/PDF/FB200GarageManual.pdf

Connect PB to Gnd via a momentary switch to operate the door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks howartp. This is great.

Do I need to include a momentary switch or can I just add some sort of z-wave module directly to the garage open terminals? This way I could just use my phone to open the door.

Posted on
Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:08 am
howartp offline

bluefightingcat wrote:
Do I need to include a momentary switch or can I just add some sort of z-wave module directly to the garage open terminals?

Anything which behaves as a momentary switch, ie a z-wave module that closes the output terminal for a second then re-opens it, will do.

You could also add a regular or momentary switch to the zwave module so you've got the best of all three worlds - remote, zwave or local.

(ps - I'm only assuming it's a momentary switch that toggles the door to change it's current state, open>closed or closed>open - you can easily test this with two short pieces of wire connected to PB and to Gnd - carefully touch the ends together and release them and see what happens to the door. If it barely moves it might need the wires holding together for the duration of travel)

Peter

Posted on
Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:32 am
bluefightingcat offline

howartp wrote:
bluefightingcat wrote:
Do I need to include a momentary switch or can I just add some sort of z-wave module directly to the garage open terminals?

Anything which behaves as a momentary switch, ie a z-wave module that closes the output terminal for a second then re-opens it, will do.

You could also add a regular or momentary switch to the zwave module so you've got the best of all three worlds - remote, zwave or local.

(ps - I'm only assuming it's a momentary switch that toggles the door to change it's current state, open>closed or closed>open - you can easily test this with two short pieces of wire connected to PB and to Gnd - carefully touch the ends together and release them and see what happens to the door. If it barely moves it might need the wires holding together for the duration of travel)

Peter

Thanks. This is exactly what I did and it works perfectly. Thank you so much for your help.

Posted on
Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:00 pm
petematheson offline

The Aeotec garage door opener is fantastic - it'll show you if the door is open, as well as allow control. A few times I've driven away and the door hasn't closed properly so I can just check Indigo and ask it to close again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 1