Detecting Doorbell

Posted on
Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:53 am
jalves offline

Detecting Doorbell

I've got a basic, dumb doorbell installation at my house. I'm thinking I'd like to integrate it with my Indigo system. I'd like to be able to have Indigo know when the doorbell was rung, log it and perhaps send a email/text message if I'm not at home.

I see there is an Insteon device that would work but it seems a bit like overkill, requiring an IO Link and the telephone/doorbell module, which then have to be wired together. I was hoping there would be a box that would simply replace the chime. Anybody know of such a device?

If it matters, I'm running the latest version of Indigo (7.0.2 right now) and have both Insteon and Z-Wave devices in my house. Also, have RFXrec connected to the system.

Running Indigo 2023.2 on a 24" iMac M1), OS X 14.4
Jeff

Posted on
Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:01 am
durosity offline

Re: Detecting Doorbell

There are some z wave doorbells but I've not seen any positive reviews for them.. always seem to be bad range or missed rings.

In my setup I use a relay in parallel with the doorbell, pressing the doorbell causes the relay to close which in turn triggers a fibaro universal sensor in indigo. It's been 100% reliable!

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:27 am
jalves offline

Thanks for that suggestion. A bit of googling leads me to a page suggesting using a z-wave door/window sensor. Apparently if you place the main part of the sensor (not the magnet) near the door bell coil, the magnetic field will trigger the sensor.

Jeff

Posted on
Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:36 am
durosity offline

Interesting idea, link?

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:47 am
jalves offline

I came across essentially the same thing a couple of times in my searches. Having a hard time finding them now, but here is one discussion: https://community.smartthings.com/t/a-s ... -rung/6027

Jeff

Posted on
Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:52 pm
durosity offline

Interesting although I'm not that thrilled with these kind passive sensing options... I'd always be worried that it would miss something. I prefer direct connections

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:04 pm
auto_man offline

I have my door bells running through an Elk-930 with the relay outputs connected to inputs on an EasyDAQ USB card.

Posted on
Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:57 pm
mundmc offline

Hey there,

I had a similar conundrum, albeit no pre-existing doorbell. I'm fairly certain you could use my fix minimal modification of the doorbell housing. Here's the link on how I did it: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewtopic.php?f=133&t=14746

Essentially, it's a door/window switch ($35). I opened the case, and noted there are two screw down terminals that can be connected to the contacts of a doorbell button. It lasts about a year on a AA battery. Through Indigo, I have various functionality attached to it: Security Spy, outdoor flood lights, visitor announcement (in a loud, English butler voice), and of course, the log.

Let me know if the link doesn't make sense.

Mun

Posted on
Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:14 pm
RAID5 offline

Google for Fibaro Universal sensor and doorbell and you will find schematics, cheep solution and you can probably use power from your existing doorbell. Works greate!

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

RAID5 "A happy Swede addicted to automation"

Posted on
Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:52 am
petematheson offline

I have a universal sensor hooked up to my doorbell, but I also went one further and bought a wired to wireless Honeywell doorbell.
It has the added bonus of being able to mute the doorbell for 15 / 30 / 45mins (when the kid is sleeping) which can be very handy!

I have it integrated so when the doorbell rings, lights flash in rooms that have people in, and the security camera snaps a photo and iMessage's it to me and the wife.

Page 1 of 1