Harmony Integration Options

Posted on
Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:30 am
joelande offline

Harmony Integration Options

I am trying to integrate my Logitech Harmony remote with Indigo.
Family members use the Harmony Remote for driving the home theater (as opposed to Indigo Touch), as they prefer the tactile feel of physical buttons designed for that specific purpose.

I consider my needs basic:
• Dim lights when selecting "Watch Movie" activity on the Harmony remote
• A button(s) on the Harmony Remote to dim/brighten lights in the theater
• Turn up the lights when hitting the "Power Off" button on the Harmony remote
• Possibly brightening the lights when pausing movie and dimming lights when resuming (but I am not even sure I want that feature)

It seems there are three approaches:
a) Insteon IRLink Receiver
b) LIFX Bridge Plugin
c) GlobalCache hardware

From what I have gathered so far by reading through pages of forum responses:
a) The IRLink Receiver may be hard to program and may be not be very reliable
b) It appeared that from what I have read that the LIFX Plugin is easy to install, but I couldn't find anything about how to actually add lights (and ultimately actions) to the Harmony's system, and I have never heard of "LIFX"
c) While I can find several one-sentence posts recommending the GlobalCache over the IRLink Receiver, I can't finds anything regarding what GlobalCache hardware to buy or how to make it work with both the Harmony remote and Indigo

Anybody care to chime in and offer advice on:
a) best route to go to accomplish this task
b) how to add lights (devices) to the Harmony remote once the LIFX Bridge Plugin is installed
c) what Global Cache hardware I should be looking at and where to find the needed info to integrate?

Thanks in advance!

macOS Server — INSTEON devices — SONOS audio — Indigo Touch — Watch
TiVo — Harmony Ultimate Remote
>0< [-0-]

Posted on
Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:32 pm
petematheson offline

Re: Harmony Integration Options

Any reason you can't just use the harmony plug in?
I do similar things with my harmony remote and then Track the activity state in indigo to trigger Lights. So when the state is 'Watch Film' it dims the main lights, turns in some faint LED lighting and such.
Similar with my doorbell - if someone presses the doorbell then it pauses the currently playing activity via the harmony plugin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:45 pm
Different Computers offline

+1 for the Harmony plugin. I'm using it and it does everything I can think of that I want. And probably more.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:57 pm
durosity offline

Yup +1 on the plugin for the harmony. Near perfect. The only thing I wish it had was a virtual controls pad that maps to the current activity (already logged as a wish :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Page 1 of 1