My device is not awake....

Posted on
Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:02 am
trevorsmith offline

Re: My device is not awake....

Thanks guys. The offset wouldn't be a problem as I can fiddle with the numbers - after all, as long as you feel comfy in the room, who cares what the temp is set to?

That StellaZ may work, but its ugly!

Posted on
Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:11 am
johnpolasek offline

trevorsmith wrote:
Thanks guys. The offset wouldn't be a problem as I can fiddle with the numbers - after all, as long as you feel comfy in the room, who cares what the temp is set to?

That StellaZ may work, but its ugly!

Agreed, and that's why I kind of like using Oregon Scientific Temp/Humidity sensors located away from the (in my case central heat pump/ac) environmental system to control both the heating/cooling as well as the ceiling fans; 79 F (26 C) at 30% relative humidity can actually feel chilly if I run the fan on high, but 74 F (23 C) at 75% RH is stuffy no matter what I do with the fans...

And the other issue I can see with the "offset" is that you'll need a different one when the radiator is hot than when the boiler isn't running.

Posted on
Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:19 am
trevorsmith offline

Having room sensors adds to the cost, though...."normal" TRVs do have the level of control I think is required in my house, in as much as they definitely allow the rad to cool once a certain temp is detected nearby by the TRV itself.

In the UK we tend not to have complex HVAC systems, just a boiler and rads fed from it (if only we needed AC!)

Anyway, my logic is done, so am awaiting the chance to upgrade to version 7! All I need is a boiler control I can send signals to in order to fire up the boiler as required.

Posted on
Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:18 am
durosity offline

Well we do need AC a few weeks of the year.. I'm hoping in a few years time to build my own house, and if I do I'll most certainly be making sure it has an integrated AC heating system.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:27 am
johnpolasek offline

Yes, our system requirements are different than yours; In Texas near the Gulf coast, we don't have to worry about below freezing temperatures for more than a couple of dozen days per year, but we get an equal number of high temperature high humidity days and a lot of days that even though the temp is high, the humidity is low as well as those when it doesn't QUITE freeze at night, so my system has heat pump/ac that I try not to use, AND control of ceiling fans via fanlincs as well as a switchlinc controlled blower around the firebox of the fireplace. Unfortunately I haven;t found a way to automate loading the wood or starting the logs...

Posted on
Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:13 am
RogueProeliator offline

Unfortunately I haven;t found a way to automate loading the wood or starting the logs...

Natural Gas... ? Heck, you live in Texas, find you one of those shale fields and just shove a pipe in the ground! :-)

One of these days someone will have to explain to me what these "freezing temperatures" around the house are... this is more us:
First Day of Fall in the South

Posted on
Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:38 am
durosity offline

What you need is Rosie from the jetsons to load the wood for you!

Computer says no.

Posted on
Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:51 am
trevorsmith offline

I can confirm that upgrading to version 7 has enabled my rad valves to talk to me!