My device is not awake....

Posted on
Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:25 am
trevorsmith offline

My device is not awake....

A basic usage question here from a new user....

Does a device need to be awake for a command such as setHeatSetPoint to work? If so, how do I wake the device?...my TRV is set to wake every 5 minutes so if I send the command during the other 4, it fails....

I'm sure I'm missing a simple point here :)

Posted on
Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:42 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: My device is not awake....

It does have to be awake. How to wake the module depends on the module – I'm not sure what the process is to wake the TRV.

The main problem you are having with the TRV is Indigo needs a special device definition for it, so that Indigo knows to queue up the commands to the module until the next time it wakes. Once that is in place, you'll be able to control the heat setpoint via Indigo (albeit with up to a 5 minute delay before it "takes"). I'll be looking into the event log of the sync you posted on the other thread to try to determine if one of Indigo's existing Danfoss definitions will work with it.

Posted on
Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:43 am
trevorsmith offline

OK thank you very much.

Just so I know, is that process one that might take a few days, or weeks or months? I may decide to go for a different TRV if there's a long delay.

Posted on
Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:04 am
trevorsmith offline

If it helps, I have attached some (hopefully) relevant bits of the instructions that came with the TRV
Attachments
20161011_180050.jpg
20161011_180050.jpg (102.55 KiB) Viewed 3592 times
20161011_180058.jpg
20161011_180058.jpg (100.93 KiB) Viewed 3592 times

Posted on
Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:12 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Thanks, I believe we have the information we need to get it added. However, we won't be able to use an existing Danfoss device definition for it (it doesn't match the current ones we have), so it is unlikely we'll get it added before Indigo 7. No ETA on 7.0 it yet, but I hear rumors it might be done sooner than "months" time frame, if that helps. Or at least it had better so I can get some sleep. :-)

Posted on
Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:05 am
trevorsmith offline

so, not a terribly useful bit of kit, then.......

Guess I'll scrap it and get a normal Danfoss one.

Posted on
Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:30 am
neilk offline

I would hang on to it, as I am sure the wait will not be that much longer as even Matt is joking about the release date now. On a serious note I would also suggest getting one or two mains powered Z Wave devices to enhance your experiments. I very nearly gave up with Z wave by starting with a battery powered motion sensor and it's esoteric behaviour during configuration and getting my head around the whole "wake up to configure" thing but once you have it done they work well and reliably. Also the mains powered devices are a lot easier to get your head around.

Neil

Posted on
Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:38 am
trevorsmith offline

I can see your point. Its only temp control I am interested in for now, however.

I am currently looking for events triggered by my TRV so I can use those moments to try to send a setpoint command....

Even if this device WAS recognised by Indigo, how would Indigo handle the situation? As it stands, upon an event such as the TRV reporting a temp change in the room, I send it a setpoint command, but that fails, presumably because its already gone back to sleep.....there must be a way to wake up a device remotely?

I guess I don't understand how these systems work (understatement!)

Posted on
Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:18 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Even if this device WAS recognised by Indigo, how would Indigo handle the situation? As it stands, upon an event such as the TRV reporting a temp change in the room, I send it a setpoint command, but that fails, presumably because its already gone back to sleep.....there must be a way to wake up a device remotely?

I am pretty sure what happens is that, if Indigo knows the device information / definition, it will know to queue up any commands that you specify until the module wakes up; then those commands are all sent to the device.

Adam

Posted on
Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:44 pm
johnpolasek offline

RogueProeliator wrote:
I am pretty sure what happens is that, if Indigo knows the device information / definition, it will know to queue up any commands that you specify until the module wakes up; then those commands are all sent to the device.

Adam

Don't know if that's how thermostats work, but that seems to be how the Aeon 6 in 1 motion sensors work from the Vera; If I change a parameter, the Vera reports "Waiting for sync", but nothing happens till there is motion or a heartbeat, then the information is updated in the sensor as part of the acknowledgement handshake and the Vera reports "success". It would seem that something like that would be good SOP for battery powered devices.

Posted on
Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:20 pm
trevorsmith offline

As I understand it, Indigo does not yet know how to queue commands for my device. I would be happy to wait 5 minutes for my commands to take effect, but this is not happening (the commands are being sent straight away, so fail because the TRV is asleep)

I tried to get a foot in the door whenever the device sends Indigo anything, such as current room temp (which it does every 5 minutes). However, when I try to run say, setHeatSetPoint when this event happens, the device is already asleep again, so my attempts to set the temp of the TRV fails.

I guess I'll wait until version 7......

Posted on
Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:31 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Yeah, once we have the device definition for it created Indigo will know how to communicate with it (queueing commands to it for when it next wakes up). We are working on getting 7.0 done ASAP...

Posted on
Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:09 am
trevorsmith offline

I could use a more mainstream TRV such as a vanilla Danfoss, but my logic relies on getting the current temp from the TRVs, and it then decides whether to run the central heating boiler....as I read the specs for most TRVs, you don't get the current room temp back from them, which is what attracted me to the POPP version.

Posted on
Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:50 am
autolog offline

The Stella-Z is an alternative: see http://www.vesternet.com/z-wave-stellaz-radiator-thermostat

This provides the temperature and is supported by Indigo 6.

There is a plugin (see links below) that supports it. :)

The one issue with using a TRV detected temperature (in my experience) is that the measured temperature can be affected by the radiator and is likely to over-read once the radiator heats up. Having a separate thermostat (say on the wall) will provide a more accurate measurement of the current ambient temperature.

Posted on
Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:50 am
durosity offline

I'd second that, with my Stella-z TRVs there's about a 2°c variation between the actual temp of the room and the reported temp when the radiator is on. I guess you could do some kind of offset but seems like a lot of work.

Computer says no.