Energy Meter Graphs

Posted on
Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:10 pm
Sharek326 offline

Energy Meter Graphs

I was wondering if anyone had any alternate ideas of how to graph Electrical Energy usage using the Aeon Labs Energy Meter. I have tried several times to get IndigoPlot to work but just can't seem to get it to work. Too many errors and it just isn't easy to use.

Im basically looking for a way to see usages throughout the day and or track energy cost per day or per month. Just seems like this would be a common task people would want.

Any help would be great

Posted on
Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:09 am
tjm000 offline

Re: Energy Meter Graphs

It took me a while also, but I was able to finally figure out how to use INDIGOplotD. If you go to page 33 (late Dec 2015) of Karl's INDIGOplotD you can see the setup that I used for my plots and an example of one of them. Note that I had ran into a small issue with the formatting that I had selected, but Karl quickly fixed the problem once I had pointed it out (which was the reason for my posting). I ended up making three different plots, one for today's current usage with power and energy plotted, one for yesterday's full usage with the same plots, and finally a monthly look back at just the daily total energy usage. I use the Aeon Labs Energy Meter for collecting the data. I have an iPad mounted on the wall where I can examine this data along with other information for my home automation setup. Hope this helps.
Attachments
IMG_0006.jpg
IMG_0006.jpg (122.5 KiB) Viewed 4320 times
IMG_0005.jpg
IMG_0005.jpg (75.68 KiB) Viewed 4320 times
IMG_0004.jpg
IMG_0004.jpg (70.48 KiB) Viewed 4320 times

Tim

Posted on
Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:43 am
Sharek326 offline

Fantastic Ill try it tonight

Posted on
Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:08 am
Different Computers offline

This is awesome!

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:31 am
yassi offline

Very cool!

May I ask you where you have the icons from and how did you made the grid for them on the left side?

Posted on
Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:24 pm
Sharek326 offline

I started to build this I had a few questions and some concerns.

In your step 3 you have a var- for yesterday I assume you have that setup as well in your variables but how are you getting a value to it? Are you coping it over at midnight.?

Aside from step three when I save my plot it doesn't generate the PNG files even when i select write file names.

Posted on
Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:59 pm
kw123 offline

Aside from step three when I save my plot it doesn't generate the PNG files even when i select write file names.

Can you create any plot?

if NOT:
1. which plotting engine have you selected (in config)- if gnu plot - you need to install it.. see the pdf file; if matplot - you need to have OS X > 10.6 I believe
2. which plot.png file path have you set (in config) check it there or in ~documents/indigoplotd
3. are there any error messages in the log file.

if YES:
1. have you <CONFIRMed> the plots part 2 and each of the lines in part 3?
2. you could try: <update> & <show> at the bottom
3. you could also try : refresh all plots in the menu.

Karl

Posted on
Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:07 pm
Sharek326 offline

I think i got it working. It wasn't making the PNG files at first and I couldn't get the second line to plot at first but I reset it Meter and it looks ok now

Posted on
Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:12 am
kw123 offline

Do have sqllogger switched on? That should give you more data.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:13 am
kw123 offline

Do have sqllogger switched on? That should give you more data.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:09 am
Sharek326 offline

I do now. When I tried to turn it on yesterday I was getting a flood of errors in my event log but now that it is working it seems stable

Posted on
Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:16 am
kw123 offline

you need do do several steps:

-- in indigo menue enable sqllogger
-- THEN in indigoplotd config select / enable which longer you use.
-- THEN in indigoplotd/menu do an import all SQL.

Posted on
Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:23 am
Sharek326 offline

Great!.....I never knew you had to do all those extra steps.....no wonder it was failing for me. Now that I got power usage Today working my next goal is to get the same thing for yesterday so I can compare and then I would love to have a monthly recap screen. Any suggestions how they can be pulled off?

Posted on
Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:12 am
Sharek326 offline

To capture Energy over the month I am trying to copy what another user has done,,,,or at least I think I am

At 11:59 PM I have the Device dump current KWhr into a EnergyYesterday Variable I am then attempting to pull the data but the plot is not populating anything

Posted on
Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:38 am
johnpolasek offline

The plot can only go back to the point when you first enabled SQL... That's when the data source became available (and the reason for the SQL plugin in the first place; by default, Indigo doesn't keep any history except for the log files). Off topic, but a trip down memory lane, back in the days before the SQL plugin, I had an applescript that formatted all my weather data into a comma separated line of text and appended it to a CSV file once a minute... and then I had to use Excel to read the file and plot the information... SQL and IndigoPlot is a LOT easier.