Favorite motion sensor?

Posted on
Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:51 pm
Different Computers offline

Favorite motion sensor?

Of any that work with Indigo. That model that never gives you any problems. Do tell!

I've got 3 Monoprice Z-wave motion detectors, and they seem a bit balky in Indigo. One particular sensor keeps going catatonic and not reporting motion. OF COURSE, this sensor is the one that is most noticeable when it doesn't report, the one with the fastest triggers associated.

This is the one thing that doesn't compare favorably between Indigo and ST: ST never complained about being unable to reach one of these sensors. But then again, ST would often not ACT on the sensor changing, so let's call it a wash.

I have zero Insteon experience, but willing to go that way. I've got a 15 year old X10 motion detector that has been lying in a box for 13 years that I'm about to try out again as well.

Speaking of:

Z-Wave Error Syncing - failed to assign return route
Z-Wave Error Syncing - failed
Z-Wave Error No response from "007 - Great Room". Module might be asleep, or is unreachable.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:14 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Favorite motion sensor?

Same reply I posted about your leak sensor applies here as well:

"Those errors just indicate the module is asleep and thus cannot accept or respond to the commands from Indigo. To perform the sync operation the module must be awake. The manual normally has the steps to wake the module. Sometimes it is a button tap, 3 button taps, or even possibly removing the batteries for a few seconds (it might stay awake for N seconds after power up). Note just because the sensor is wet and/or sending messages back to Indigo does not mean it is able to receive commands. Modules can only receive commands during their "awake window" which is not the same thing as just when they might be broadcasting out a command."

Posted on
Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:45 pm
ckeyes888 offline

Having tried virtually all available motion sensors I always come back to X10.
Fast triggering, cheap, small, ridiculously long battery life and nearly as reliable as hard-wired.

I use them with a W800RF32.

Carl

Posted on
Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:49 am
johnpolasek offline

ckeyes888 wrote:
Having tried virtually all available motion sensors I always come back to X10.
Fast triggering, cheap, small, ridiculously long battery life and nearly as reliable as hard-wired.

I use them with a W800RF32.

Carl

Only reason I quit using them was the hassle of resetting the house/Device code every time the battery died... or have the newer ones gone away from the "Hold the button down until you see the right number of flashes, then tap it to confirm you didn't hold it down too long or let it up too soon..." reset technique?

Posted on
Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:13 am
ckeyes888 offline

Yea, same thing with resetting after a battery change. I reserve the entire A house code for mine
and the one that is used the most is set to A1. No change needed on that one and the overs only take a second
or two to change. Well worth it.

Carl

Posted on
Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:24 am
rhanson offline

Many of the PIR units have interesting quirks, like being slow to react, fixed 4-minute time-outs, oddball viewing angles, cheaply fabricated mounting systems (that's you, Aeon), and in my opinion really ruin the whole experience of motion sensing.

I've had great luck with 2 models:
- Enerwave ceiling mounted PIR - ZWN-PBC
- Philio PSP-02 (they have a newer model out, but have not tested it)

I have 8 of the Enerwave and 4 of the Philio units amongst a handful of others like Aeon, etc. They are both fast-responding, have adjustable sensitivity, programmable time-out periods, and are well-behaved on the z-wave network. The ceiling units have a 360-degree view, which is great. And if you need directional triggering, it is possible to shield off some portions with some stickers they give you (basically covering some pie slices of the 360-degree sensor). If you go with the ceiling versions, just make sure you mount them well! Lay a pillow on the floor for the first couple days to catch them. :-)

Posted on
Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:57 am

W800RF32
A what?

Searching that model number got me a lot of stuff, but I don't think you're talking about a light bulb or a kiddie car seat.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:08 am
autolog offline

Different Computers wrote:
W800RF32
A what?

Searching that model number got me a lot of stuff, but I don't think you're talking about a light bulb or a kiddie car seat.

Try googling X10 W800RF32 - You may have more luck :wink:

Posted on
Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:24 am

Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-04-22 at 12.12.00 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-04-22 at 12.12.00 PM.png (369.46 KiB) Viewed 2103 times

Posted on
Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:14 pm
ckeyes888 offline

Page 1 of 1