Telling if a given camera will be compatible w/Control Pages

Posted on
Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:53 am
neilk offline

Re: Telling if a given camera will be compatible w/Control P

Hi,
I use blue iris which is commercial but reasonably priced (fixed fee rather than by camera, and updates for each major version) and windows based. Before that I used zoneminder which is linux based. Zone minder was good but at the time had performance issues with HD cameras. Zone minder is excellent, and the IOS app is actually all you need to access it. It all runs on a headless windows box with a big hard drive and it has lots of options to notify and configure motion and it's own restful api to change motion detection state etc which I trigger from Indigo and the DSC plugin. I don't actually use notifications from motion to indigo but I did have this configured as a motion sensor in Vera and I see no reason why the same wouldn't work.
Thanks,
Neil

Posted on
Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:32 pm
RogueProeliator offline

I wouldn't trigger an event off camera pixel based motion. (don't need to automate lights or notifications every time a bug humps one of my cameras).

You just won the internet for that comment!

My thoughts were something along the lines of requiring motion in a specific order - front drive to front walk to front porch, or front driveway to rear driveway to carport, or something like that. Ideally, of course, would LOVE to know what caused the motion. UPS truck, person, etc. But I haven't seen anything that can reliably process that for a slew of cameras; well, i have but it was for high security environments so $$$$.

That's not on your plugin page.... keep the good stuff for yourself?

It was just never made solid enough for full release... I have on my ToDo list to put it out there at some point.

Posted on
Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:48 pm
whmoorejr offline

I haven't seen anything that can reliably process that for a slew of cameras]

Sighthound is doing a pretty good job for me at isolating the (thing) that triggers the event. They do a free trial if you want to tinker with it. Mine is analyzing about 10 cameras on my HA Mini without any issues. With 10 cameras it sometimes jumps up to about 30% CPU then drops back down to around 20% (2012 Mac Mini, 2.5GHZ i5, 4 GB)

Bill
My Plugin: My People

Posted on
Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:13 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Sighthound is doing a pretty good job for me at isolating the (thing) that triggers the event. They do a free trial if you want to tinker with it. Mine is analyzing about 10 cameras on my HA Mini without any issues. With 10 cameras it sometimes jumps up to about 30% CPU then drops back down to around 20% (2012 Mac Mini, 2.5GHZ i5, 4 GB)

Well, that isn't too bad (~30%) but enough that I am not sure I would want it shared on my HA server. I'm a little confused, though, how it interacts with the NVR as you say it records at VGA resolution -- is it reading the video stream from the NVR or the camera (so then you have two sources reading the camera)?

Posted on
Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:34 am
whmoorejr offline

is it reading the video stream from the NVR or the camera (so then you have two sources reading the camera

I'm not 100% sure on this yet.... Until a couple days ago.... everything I used went straight to the cameras (Control Pages, NVR, iPhones, tables, iPads, etc.) I'm still leaving control pages to access the cameras directly.... but thats because I can't get a snapshot from the NVR. (The URL doesn't work for me and their support forum sucks). I think the NVR (POE - Wired to the cameras) is accessing both streams from the cameras all the time. (I'll see it when looking at the NVR... if there is some delay or something, it will auto switch to pull the "sub" stream for a minute). So I give Sighthound the address to the sub stream for the camera on the NVR. (The sub-stream is what I use mostly for mobile devices because it will load quicker on a cell connection).

For me... I need to go to each camera and set a consistent sub-stream rate for all of them. (lower resolution, lower frame rate, etc.) Once I do that, Sighthound should take even less CPU power.

I think the setting on sighthound just tells Sighthound what resolution to use for saving clips and sending .jpg emails.

But... it all might be for not. I now keep getting an error on my HA computer "Application isn't running. IndigoServer got an error: Application isn't running. (-600)." I don't know what that means, but when I select "Edit", it goes to the little Applescript applications I wrote which Sighthound triggers to update Indigo Variables. = No integration yet.

Code: Select all
tell application "IndigoServer"
set value of variable "Sighthound" to "FrontDoor"
end tell

Was working, now not working. Runs fine if I put it into an action command, but I need it as executable script or something on the computer that Sighthound can run. <-- Why SH is on the HA computer.

Bill
My Plugin: My People