Controlling Mac computers

Posted on
Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:12 am
brianlloyd offline

Controlling Mac computers

This may seem strange but I have a number of Macs that I want under the control of Indigo. I want to be able to boot them up, shut them down, launch specific applications, and have them report their up/down state to Indigo.

As to WHY I want to do this, well:
  • I have Macs dedicated to the A/V system and need to boot them and launch the appropriate playback application if not running.
  • I want to be able to boot the 4k TV that acts as the display for the attached Mac when the Mac is turned on.
  • I want to be able to start a display application for displaying video art when the Mac isn't doing any other task.
Now the applications I want to launch are my problem. I suppose I can use something like rsh for launching remote apps but then I need an rsh client inside of Indigo to make this happen. The goal is to create action groups to automate my most-used functions and to make it relatively easy for guests who know nothing about my system to be able to play music, watch TV, or watch a BluRay disk. Given how many devices are involved -- Mac, display, DAC, amp, display input selection, DAC input selection, app running on the Mac, etc -- I want to be able to pull everything into an action group and tie it to a button, i.e. "Press this button to watch TV in the guest room."

If others have done something similar I want to hear about your approach to the problem.

Posted on
Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:31 am
autolog offline

Re: Controlling Mac computers

I think the Mac System Plugin may do what you want - see this forum Bip's Plugins :)

Posted on
Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:38 am
brianlloyd offline

Thank you Jon. That does look like it does what I need to do. I appreciate the pointer.

Posted on
Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:36 pm
mundmc offline

Not sure if you have this problem still. I use apple scripts running externally on my server that are run from action groups. I use them for controlling the sound output device, and for controlling system volume. It's hacky, but it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 1