Basic Question About Organization

Posted on
Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:13 pm
Sharek326 offline

Basic Question About Organization

Good Afternoon

I wanted to get some feedback on how other people are oganizing folders. As my device list grows I am finding my current system may not be best. Orginally I broke down Devices, Triggers, Schedules and Action Groups into rooms. Much like Kitchen, Master Bedroom etc. If your a switch, receptacle Roku or whatever and your in the bedroom you went in that folder. Same with Triggers and so on.

While that seems to work for triggers and action groups I am not sure if this system is still best for Devices since it is getting larger. Now I am wondering if I should switch to Receptacles, Switches Roku. Additonally what does everyone using for a standard naming system.

Kitchen Recessed, Dinning Fan / Light or Receptacle (Xmas Tree) is how I name things now but is this the best way or is there better?

Posted on
Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:31 pm
Bollar offline

Re: Basic Question About Organization

For the most part, I have devices sorted by room and name them so they're easy to find:

Code: Select all
Living Room KeypadLinc
Living Room Mantle
Living Room Media Equipment
Living Room Lights
Living Room Fan
Living Room Window Wall Outlet

Certain classes of devices I put in their own folders and name them differently -- mainly so that they're easier to find in Indigo's dropdown lists -- I have about 250 devices, so it can take time to scroll through the list. Whatever method you use, make sure that it makes sense to you.

Code: Select all
Folder: HVAC
HVAC Z1 Living Room
HVAC Z2 Master Bedroom
Folder: Doors
Doors Front Door Locked
Doors Back Door Locked
Doors Kitchen Door Locked

Insteon / Z-Wave / Bryant Evolution Connex /Tesla / Roomba / Elk M1 / SiteSage / Enphase Enlighten / NOAA Alerts

Posted on
Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:37 pm
howartp offline

Similar to Bollar.

Lights, switches/relays and specific devices (iTach receiver for TVs etc) are in their rooms.

But motion sensors are in a motion folder, temperature sensors and radiator TRVs are in a heating folder, the alarm panel and zones are in an alarm folder...

Names are mainly "Room Device" eg Lounge TV, Lounge Lights Wall, Bedroom Fan, Motion Kitchen.

Radiators are currently "Evohome Study" because that's the default and I haven't got round to implementing them yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:08 pm
Dewster35 offline

I do similar to the above 2... basically things that are controllable are in a room folder and things that are more global or read only are broken out into their own categories such as HVAC, motion , door/window, temp sensors.

Posted on
Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:12 pm
durosity offline

I have all devices grouped together by room.. so regardless of it being a motion sensor or a heating system or whatever it relates to the room it's in. The only exception is 'virtual' devices that don't physically exist like Smartphone radar and a handful of thingspeak upload devices, etc. I also group all my schedules and action groups in a similar fashion. The exception is triggers, which is grouped together based on type.. so for example Motion & Alarm items for things like movement around the house, setting the alarm if everyone has left, etc, AV for controlling the triggers that link in with my AV receivers, and so on and so forth.

Computer says no.

Page 1 of 1