Controlling multiple ceiling fans

Posted on
Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:45 am
brianlloyd offline

Controlling multiple ceiling fans

I am posting here because I have reached wits end and am hoping someone can suggest something. Right now my network is all Z-Wave but I am willing to install Insteon if it will solve my problem. Heck, I will install a plug-in to talk to some third-party control if need be.

I am trying to control three ceiling fans together with speed control. I would like something that fits into a decora switch box that will yield three-speed control of three fans. I was hoping to use a Z-Wave-enabled fan switch but I haven't found one that is rated to handle more than one fan load (1.5A). Yes, I can switch power and then select speed manually with the pull-chain but that is last-resort.

One solution that presented itself is putting individual speed-control modules in the base of each fan and then having Indigo control them together as a scene (Z-Wave) or as an action group. Then the question is, what to use as a local, manual speed select that will talk to Indigo (I don't care how)?

I am open to any and all suggestions. I figure someone else has bumped into this problem before and has solved it somehow.

Thank you.

Brian

Posted on
Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:38 pm
kw123 offline

Re: Controlling multiple ceiling fans

if your electronics skill are up to it you can put an ESP8622 see arduino discussion into your old remotes and drive them from the arduino plugin

Karl

Posted on
Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:52 pm
brianlloyd offline

Thank you for your reply, Karl. I appreciate it.

You did lose me on the curve there. Not sure what an ESP8622 is. I did peruse the Arduino thread and thought it might be a shield that is available from Adafruit (where I usually get my Arduino and BBB goodies) but I couldn't find an ESP8622. Could you have meant ESP8266?

And how were you suggesting that I interface the Arduino to the fans? Power control to a nasty inductive load like an AC fan motor is no trivial task.

Not sure what you mean by old remotes. I do not use any sort of hand-held remote other than a smartphone. My reasoning is that my smartphone is always in my pocket and some other kind of remote will not be. If I have to go looking for something, a wall switch is just as convenient.

I'm sure you are busy but could you elucidate just a bit?

Thanks!

Posted on
Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:08 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Right now my network is all Z-Wave but I am willing to install Insteon if it will solve my problem.

I think you could certainly install a FanLinc in each ceiling fan in order to control all three via Indigo. It could trigger off a switch and send the commands to set all three to the same speed. Of course, this introduces a level of complexity... having to maintain another protocol and deal with a new set of (potential) signal issues.

Adam

Posted on
Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:19 pm
brianlloyd offline

Thank you Adam. In fact, after spending more time examining what is possible with Insteon, I had come to much the same conclusion. The FanLinc is a clear option, with one per fan. It appears that Indigo supports the 8-button controller and if I associate four of the buttons with the fan speed selection, two each buttons to control two lighting circuits, I can do it all that way. I don't know enough about Indigo with Insteon yet to know if I can associate the buttons directly with the fan functions through the Insteon network without having them generate events that Indigo must respond to, but that is just a detail. Having things still work if the server is down for any reason is a big plus.

Thanks again.

Posted on
Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:18 pm
RogueProeliator offline

The FanLinc is a clear option, with one per fan. It appears that Indigo supports the 8-button controller and if I associate four of the buttons with the fan speed selection, two each buttons to control two lighting circuits, I can do it all that way.

That is how I have mine setup (but it is a 1-1 controller, not multiple fans). They make an etched button set that is exactly for that use - has On / Off buttons, Fan Off, Fan Low, Fan Med, and Fan High buttons. I can take a picture tonight if you want to see it. I haven't tried multiple associations of FanLincs to it, though, so I'll leave that to someone with experience doing it or the experts to answer.

Adam

Posted on
Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:32 pm
brianlloyd offline

RogueProeliator wrote:
That is how I have mine setup (but it is a 1-1 controller, not multiple fans). They make an etched button set that is exactly for that use - has On / Off buttons, Fan Off, Fan Low, Fan Med, and Fan High buttons. I can take a picture tonight if you want to see it.

Yes, please.

I haven't tried multiple associations of FanLincs to it, though, so I'll leave that to someone with experience doing it or the experts to answer.

Looks like I will get to break new ground. :)

Brian

P.S. Sony Bravia plug-in working fine.

Posted on
Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:31 pm
Face Flop offline

brianlloyd wrote:
RogueProeliator wrote:
That is how I have mine setup (but it is a 1-1 controller, not multiple fans). They make an etched button set that is exactly for that use - has On / Off buttons, Fan Off, Fan Low, Fan Med, and Fan High buttons. I can take a picture tonight if you want to see it.

Yes, please.

Here are stock photos

http://www.smarthome.com/fanlinc-button-kit-for-keypadlinc-white.html

Posted on
Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:52 pm
jalves offline

It appears the OP has his answer but just in case, I do exactly what he's looking for with two fans. There shouldn't be any impediment to doing it with three fans. I've got a fan-link in each of the fans and control both by a 6-button KPL (wall switch).

The actual wall switch doesn't switch the load though. In fact, the load wire from that switch is capped off. Instead Indigo receives the notice when one of the buttons is pushed and its Indigo that sends the actual speed (or light) command to the fans.

Running Indigo 2023.2 on a 24" iMac M1), OS X 14.4
Jeff

Page 1 of 1